The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So if Barnhill (in the video that opens this thread) had managed to drag her toe tip and still replanted and pushed a few feet in front of the pitchers plate, that would be OK?

If yes, why wouldn't you teach all pitchers to do that?

Put another way, if Jake had a little sister, would you teach her Barnhill's technique?

Jake has nieces/my granddaughters and not no, but hell no. Bottom line is that Barnhill is successful in spite of being illegal, and her very poor mechanics.

I often hear that we should just let them pitch like the men. I have had numerous pitchers including Jake play the "what if" game and throw outside the rules for grins. All I can say is that if you have a DD that hits, be very careful what you wish for! :)

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Sorry to derail for a second but does anyone know what happened to A Ocasio. She played the outfield in the Judy G. this past weekend and now listed as Utility. Are her pitching days over?

S3

Nov 25, 2012
USA
So if Barnhill (in the video that opens this thread) had managed to drag her toe tip and still replanted and pushed a few feet in front of the pitchers plate, that would be OK?

If yes, why wouldn't you teach all pitchers to do that?

Put another way, if Jake had a little sister, would you teach her Barnhill's technique?

Pumpkin, I had to think through this a bit before replying. I watched Jake pitch a couple games on ESPN reply this weekend and she was amazing and 1000% percent legal so I totally get the Barnhill illegal discussion from Riseball and so many others. I am with them and completely agree and of course not saying you don't agree as you ask a very good question. (get to that in a second)....
I have a history of posting topics, vids, pics, etc. on illegal pitchers and have done so for a few years now. I feel confident that I can pick out an illegal pitcher and often post it to get others thoughts. I just recently posted a thread on Ally Carda. She was amazing and could bring it with the best of them, but she replanted like a South Texas farmer. (Texas joke).
All that said, I am seeing more of it and starting to see somewhat of a grey or gray area depending on your preference. Thus the reason for my recent posts and back to your question...... Would you teach the Barnhill mechanics if she did drag her foot and there was no leap? That is the gray or grey area that I am seeing more of! I am seeing girls that can slide an "gather" the drive foot underneath them only to carry weight on that foot and push again. The drive foot stays completely on the ground but it is obvious to the (James Bond bucket dad eye) that an additional push takes place. I personally think that Paige Lowary does it to a degree as her drive foot completely stops for a split second before continuing. This is a sign to me of "gathering" the drive foot before going forward again and Paige brings the heat!!! Not that it is a sign of illegal pitching so please nobody confuse heat for illegal pitching.

So I go back to the earlier post in this thread where I mentioned what the ASA put out. I will quote the last part below:

We would also add, it is not possible to push, drag, stop and re-push while the non-pivot foot is in the air. It is possible to re-push if you leap and land.

I think this is the biggest bunch of BS in the world. I know this because I can do it myself. I can drag, keep the foot on the ground, and re-push with the best of them. It took a short while but I figured out how to do it and I can get WAY out there and throw hard. NO leap whatsoever.

So with all that said, you ask a good question and would you teach it.....??? The ASA rules say it is impossible so you know it shouldn't get called. Just show them the drag line and how can they possibly call it?? You didn't leap!! It was impossible remember!! Which brings me to your point above.....then why don't they just say if you don't leap, the pitch is legal?. That Pumpkin is a damn good point!!!!!

I will leave it as I think most would agree......they need to either call it or they need to change the rules. Many have made that statement before me but it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. :(

Until then, I will just hope my DD can someday pitch as good as Jake and be proud she does it the right way. Then I would pinch myself over and over as I felt how proud I was that my DD played D1 at an amazing program and was doing the thing she loves on TV. Probably not going to happen and that is okay but she has the dream and it is my job to give her as much help as I can to get her there knowing she will never fall short even if she doesn't play in college.

Here it to hoping your riseball rises and your drop ball drops!

Peace, S3

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Barnhill rise:

barnhill_side_rise_zpspvszfoi9.gif

Jul 17, 2012
Accept it ladies and gentleman. If you can keep your foot on the ground it will rarely get called. There are a dozen kids in top 20 illegal. Barnhill gets picked on cause she is NASTY!!

May 20, 2016
My DD does the same thing when she pitches (@10u). PC is trying to correct it. Should she? I mean, if they aren't going to call it, why not get the advantage.

It gets called occasionally. Was watching Auburn vs LSU and LSU's pitcher got called on it. Started a rally for Auburn.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD does the same thing when she pitches (@10u). PC is trying to correct it. Should she? I mean, if they aren't going to call it, why not get the advantage.

Pitchers like Barnhill are successful despite their poor mechanics, not because of it. For every one like Barnhill that is successful, there are many more that will fail. There are no shortcuts. You can roll the dice and take the easy route, but the odds are not in your DD's favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi