The Commish needs help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
You're never going to make everybody happy obviously. It is rec ball, and as you said in a previous post "It's about the least competitive league you can imagine". My guess is most of the parents would probably prefer to lean to the side of groups of friends playing together than trying to make the most even teams possible. I'd say try to spread the pitchers and catchers around as best you can while honoring the sibling, coach and friend requests.

The best thing as has been mentioned, is tackle it from the standpoint of holding clinics for players and coaches. My DD plays rec and what I've seen is a lot of the coaches don't know how to teach pitching. So have a few clinics to get everyone started on the right path, and then it's a matter of practice. You're not going to develop them into TB pitchers, but for rec, you just want the girls to be able to throw strikes. Speed and the different pitches aren't that important. My experience is girls who are willing to put in the effort, even just 50 pitches every day on their own, become decent rec pitchers.

Yup, on my list of stuff to make happen. The funny part is that the girls all get along, pretty much regardless of the teams - but the parents, well that's another story lol! Some of these groups act like it is TB.

My concern is exactly pitching and catching at 12U.

Aug 12, 2014
Yup, on my list of stuff to make happen. The funny part is that the girls all get along, pretty much regardless of the teams - but the parents, well that's another story lol! Some of these groups act like it is TB.

My concern is exactly pitching and catching at 12U.

We've all seen plenty of those parents unfortunately.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
ANother gem:

"Ray

Can you explain the e-mail we received yesterday? Does this mean that our girls that that requested to be on a team together with a specific coach will get split up?

This is a rec league. The girls want to play with their friends, not kids that they do not know. This is supposed to be fun for them. If we wanted more, we would do lighting.

If this is the way that teams will be made for a rec team in the future, we will not be playing OYAA.

Thanks
"

Neither a "Hi" nor a "please" to be found.

The original email, which admittedly is free from explanations of why we want the info:

"Good morning parents of softball players,

We have added a couple of questions to the registration process to help us in team placement. Please take a moment to log into your OYAA account and click the link to EDIT PARTICIPANT INFO for your softball player(s). We are looking for level of experience in pitching and catching. Please get your selections in my March 31.
"

Maybe could have worded it better, but only 3 emails so far and many parents have already added the info to their accounts. Just kind of funny.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD did not play VB this year, one of the main reasons is she did not know anyone on her Team. We paid and did not make any deal about it but there are some risks in what you are trying to do.

Short story is the Teams became kind of a mess, right on the signup sheet they said they were starting over so she knew what she signed up for.

Jun 29, 2013
We went through a lot of these issues in our rec league this year. With some coaches intentionally telling their protected players in 8U to understate their experience level (they can protect 5, and all 5 have played more than they stated) to get a better draft slot (blind draft in theory), to some coaches telling kids to say they need rides from other kids who don't live within 5 miles of each other or go to the same school, to some parents insisting on only playing for that "good" coach who is going to teach their kid how to be a full ride scholarship player (10 years later of course), it can be a nightmare. You're doing the right thing by dividing the talent up. In our majors league (13-16) I told all the coaches we are all responsible for making the games competitive, and it isn't fun for anyone when one team is just getting killed every game. I have some good people coaching who all understood that issue.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Yeah, the coaches get it. They were the ones wanting a better talent distribution. Interesting part: 9/10 12U teams have at least 1 pitcher and 1 catcher (either experienced or interested).

May 4, 2014
So Cal
I dont get some parents! Softball is a TEAM sport and part of what it teaches the kids is how to socialize and interact with their teammates. For parents to equate FUN with playing with their "friends" and not with girls they dont know and complain about it is shortsighted. How did this kid get her current "friends" to begin with? Is there a quota on how many "friends" a kid can make? Its only fun if you play with your current friends? Then they wonder why their kids get "clicky" and have total inability to socialize outside of their comfort zone! great job parent you're on your way to making your kid into a social misfit!

Why rob kids of a great opportunity to learn social skills and learn how to make new friends.. I dont get it... sounds to me its the parents that are the ones that want to make sure they play with "their friends"... having that parent you cant stand in your OWN team is one great way to keep the peace in leagues!

Are you allowed to have A/B style teams in your league? Dont think ASA lets you do this for rec (but thats just my guess)

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I dont get some parents! Softball is a TEAM sport and part of what it teaches the kids is how to socialize and interact with their teammates. For parents to equate FUN with playing with their "friends" and not with girls they dont know and complain about it is shortsighted. How did this kid get her current "friends" to begin with? Is there a quota on how many "friends" a kid can make? Its only fun if you play with your current friends? Then they wonder why their kids get "clicky" and have total inability to socialize outside of their comfort zone! great job parent you're on your way to making your kid into a social misfit!

Why rob kids of a great opportunity to learn social skills and learn how to make new friends.. I dont get it... sounds to me its the parents that are the ones that want to make sure they play with "their friends"... having that parent you cant stand in your OWN team is one great way to keep the peace in leagues!

Are you allowed to have A/B style teams in your league? Dont think ASA lets you do this for rec (but thats just my guess)

One of my plans for next season is to separate the girls by skills, following evaluations, and possibly have a "developmental" 12U and a "competitive" 12U. I have received very little pushback overall, and many kids have updated their info already. We might lose a few, but we might gain a few, too. Have to wait for the off season, talk with my division managers.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
My rec league, that I am the 14u/16u commissioner for, spreads as much of the talent out as possible. Once a player is drafted to a team, they are on that same team until they age out. Coaches/Manager may change, but the players do not. The girls really like this because they know some of the players will be with them their entire time in that age group. The only players that are drafted are the new players. Only players that attend skills evals are the new players, both new to the league and ones moving up in age groups. We also have a few managers that have been with us for a long time, so some girls have the same manager for a few years. This is great because they build a relationship with each other. Some even do little awards for the girls they have had the entire time. Builds great team spirit in both the players and the parents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12