The Auburn Hop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2016
I like the tennis hop. It's not really a hop, more like a bounce. If you call it a hop people are going to start hopping like bunnies (like the auburn players) which makes you often land on the heel and not on the balls of your foot. Looking at Murray's video, his heel doesn't touch the ground. I do the same--creep a little, left or right depending on the pitch and how the batter swings and then bounce at contact.

Aug 16, 2015
I will be watching though. I'm sure plenty of teams will be hopping this spring.

The coach of my 10u daughter's Little League team had the girls hopping at the first practice.

Some of these girls can hardly walk across the diamond without tripping over their own feet.

I'm not sure adding more movement is a good thing in this situation.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
My dd is a creeper, who sometimes does a small hop. It's something she developed on her own cuz she's not light on her feet. She's a big strong girl, with big strong legs and big booty. She showed me the video last week and she was all proud that it was something she does. She says if she stands there she tenses up and gets stuck sometimes, reacts too slow. I think she was always kinda self conscious about doing it, cuz she asked me if it looked dumb one time. I Said if it makes you play better then who cares if it looks dumb. she felt like this was something the other girls didn't have to do cuz they were just more explosive or athletic than her.

We played a tourney this weekend and she was bouncing all over the place, 3rd base, the rubber, on deck, now she a hoppin fool.

She said it was because her legs were sore from squats and she was trying to get lose but I couldn't help think it was cuz of that video! Lol

She was in beast mode at 3rd base though! A coach from another (good) team that beat us gave her some great compliments on shutting em down on the third base side, that was pretty cool!

I coach JV, softball we have girls that have never ever played before. I wouldn't tell them they had to do it, but I would show em the video, let em try it out, practice it a bit, decide for themselves if it's something they want to work on ...I'm sure it's not for everyone.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I've been watching a lot of baseball and I'm seeing a little more of this slight hop action. They are only clearing a couple inches when they do it. I've tried it a during practice the see how if feels and it def is something I feel can be beneficial. Are any others implementing it and how is it going?

Jun 12, 2015
Our team is doing it this year, 2nd year 10U. We haven't played games yet and really haven't even been practicing it long enough for them to think about it in games, I bet. We have a scrimmage tonight so we'll see. First tournament next weekend (24th). I don't know if he'll have them doing it then yet or not, we have a wild mix on this team. A couple who played A last year, several more who played strong B, and several who have only ever played rec or all stars. I think some will be busy working on fundamentals but I'm hoping mine and the others w/ the higher level experience will give it a try and see what they think. I'm undecided yet on what I think. But I do love Auburn softball in general so I'm probably going to like it out of pure bias.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck