Team player vs being taken advantage of?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sidetrack here, sorry - ITA about letting girls deal with coaches when they're able. What age do you think that should start? At what age should parents completely butt out, in your opinion?

This is a good question, albeit an old one that I'm just now seeing. I think you have to use your gut and know your own kid. There are certainly those helicopter parents who want to manage everything, and the more the kids can handle themselves, the better, but there also are times when a kid still isn't ready to negotiate on even terms with an adult and needs an advocate. Parents should not butt out completely until their kids are no longer their responsibility.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm really confused...because the coach sounds to me to be completely reasonable.

Your DD is a great outfielder with a rocket launcher for an arm. She is apparently fast since she is a leadoff slap hitter.

Why do you want her to catch?

I'm not sure how big your DD is...but, D1 coaches favor big girls behind the plate.

Would you also advise all pitchers under 5'7" to find another position because D1 coaches favor tall pitchers???

An athletic catcher who can play another position(s) well is a valuable and sought after commodity IME. There are many college players playing different positions than they did in HS and TB (or were even recruited to play in college). But, at the most basic level, college playing time comes down to being able to hit (ace pitchers excepted)!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Would you also advise all pitchers under 5'7" to find another position because D1 coaches favor tall pitchers???

We're not talking about pitchers. We're talking about catchers.

But, at the most basic level, college playing time comes down to being able to hit

I'm not sure I agree with this, but I agree that catchers have to be decent hitters.

The problem is that OP's DD's hitting is based on slap hitting--so, her entire offense is built around her legs. If she isn't fast, she can't hit.

Catchers experience a lot of wear and tear during a college season. College is a lot more physical than anything in HS or TB. Considering how tough the college pre-season is, I doubt she would be fast enough on opening day to slap in college.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD very occasionally comes out to see me, normal a HI nothing to do with game.

Some players on her Team just seem to want/need interaction with their parents, brothers or sisters. Have a good time, beat up on little brother for a little bit.

I do not think there is a right anwser. I shut my mouth during games and DD took off, that was just us though.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Dont under estimate the importance of a good center fielder, especially at 14U and older.

At the upper levels of 12U, this is also true. The primary CF for my DD's team has had games where she has made as many outs as the MIs. Good OFs not only catch balls in the air, but limit hits to singles instead of XBHs. This is the stuff that changes games.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
At the upper levels of 12U, this is also true. The primary CF for my DD's team has had games where she has made as many outs as the MIs. Good OFs not only catch balls in the air, but limit hits to singles instead of XBHs. This is the stuff that changes games.

There are far more chances to change the game behind the plate than there are in the field!

Jun 12, 2015
Even in 10U having a quality center fielder can make a huge difference for a team.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We're not talking about pitchers. We're talking about catchers.

I'm not sure I agree with this, but I agree that catchers have to be decent hitters.

The problem is that OP's DD's hitting is based on slap hitting--so, her entire offense is built around her legs. If she isn't fast, she can't hit.

Catchers experience a lot of wear and tear during a college season. College is a lot more physical than anything in HS or TB. Considering how tough the college pre-season is, I doubt she would be fast enough on opening day to slap in college.

Here's my thinking in this regard
1. Both DD and I have been there/done that so that you'll get no argument that catchers get beat up and worn down during a college season. IME/IMO, the off season is long enough, the players young and resilient enough, and the playing careers short enough (i.e., ending after college) that the wear and tear doesn't accumulate and degenerate the physical abilities in FP anywhere near like it does is in professional BB.

2. There are extremely few slappers who have the speed alone to be successful in college without being able to swing the bat well enough to keep the OF honest. Assuming that a 12u pre-pubescent elite speedster is still going to be an elite speedster in college is an uncertain bet at best. Given these considerations, I would strongly encourage any young slapper to learn and practice hitting for power; if the speed stays with them as they mature, they're a true (but rare) rare triple threat, but if they slow down a step or two after they mature, they still should have enough game to keep playing. I know those 14u and younger Ws and trophies are pretty and sparkly, but IMO too many coaches/parents do their dedicated slappers a major disservice by not sacrificing some immediate success and teaching/encouraging them to hit away effectively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi