TB Letter of expectations??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2010
Does anyone have a basic letter of expectaions from families and player at an A travel ball level. I am a 12/U travel ball coach who started my own team of first year 12's this year. We are doing well for our age and skill level, but I have a few players who just don't belong out there. This opinion is based on skill, effort, attendance etc. I would like to put forth some expectations for next year that may make these families reconsider trying to put thier daughter on an A travel team. When I started this team, I commited to take these 11 kids for 2 years thus guaranteeing them a place to play for the 2 years at 12/U. I have 3 that are hurting the other 8 right now. They don't practice, they are more commited to thier other sports and activities and they just don't take this team seriously. Of course alot of the blame can be put on the parents, but overall they don't fit in the mix.

I used one as a sub in this weeks tournament. After the 3rd inning she walked up to me and said "I have to go now". Parents took her off my bench. This is the least involved family, the one that practices the least, does not participate in our fundraising efforts etc.

I made a commitment to NOT cut anyone for 2 years, but this is bad for the other kids/families on this team who understand we are trying to prepare these kids for high school.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Expectations are a part of life that these kids need to learn early and well. Things like practices, fundraising, performance, attitude, effort, and improvement are all vital to her status with in this team. Lack of any of the above would put her on thin ice on my team. Promising to not cut anyone for two tears was a big mistake in my opinion. They need to be reminded that this is not daddy ball rec league, and they CAN and WILL be replaced if the nesc. changes aren't met. Tournaments costing between $300-$400 with only 3 or 4 games guaranteed are to be taken serious, and if you don't have serious players and parents...well that's a serious problem. So absolutely, yes, write up the letter stating the mandatory requirements of both, parents and players. Have them sign it and be sure to have dated deadlines for any money owed, and be prepared to sit or even cut the player who did not meet the financial obligation to the team. I could care less if they choose to just write a check instead of participating in a fundraiser. Survival of the fittest here. Only the best play, so if your not playing...then you'd better find a way to improve your game quickly.

Jan 7, 2013
Search for the Birmingham Thunderbolts web page. You will find info you are looking for there.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
You guaranteed every player a two year commitment and a place to play. The parents had an expectation from you that you would not cut them for the two years. Now you want to change the terms since they did not meet your expectations. You are only as good as your word - now you want to change the terms mid-way through your commitment to all the players. Think about how that will be perceived, even if you are in the right about what you are trying to accomplish with this team.

On the other hand, when you guaranteed that all of the girls would be on the team for 2 years, did you guarantee playing time? If not, on an A team, the solution is straight-forward. They don't practice, they don't play. They can watch the girls who make practice and made a commitment to get better play in the tournaments. If you are rewarding a lack of effort and commitment with playing time, you are the root cause of the problem, and you need to be the one to fix it. At tryouts this year, take 2 or 3 more players than you had last year. Those who are not putting in an effort will quickly get the message, and will either step up or step out.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have never heard of an A-level TB team with a "no cut" policy...a C-team OK, but not an A-team. The problem you are about to run into is disgruntled parents of the players who ARE giving 110%. I would start with a serious conversation with the parents of the players who are not giving 110%. Keep your promise not to cut any players for 2 years, but you did not promise them playing time, and you can add players to your roster. The parent will leave on their own accord when there are 15 girls on the roster and their DD is not getting any playing time.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm not going to throw stones at the two year commitment, lesson learned. We never did even a full 1 year commitment, just tooooooooooooooo much can happen, and you're stuck. Before MS/HS ball age our commitment ran spring/summer, "contract" ends in the fall.

Keep your promise not to cut any players for 2 years, but you did not promise them playing time, and you can add players to your roster. The parent will leave on their own accord when there are 15 girls on the roster and their DD is not getting any playing time.

Wise words right there. Sounds exactly like what I'd do.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2012
Did you have, and communicate player/parent expectations? And as stated by others, did you guarantee playing time?

Maybe start with these:

Coach expectations:
develop players
promote sportsmanship
safe environment
fair environment
respectful to parent and players
schedule regular practices
schedule appropriate games/tourney to challenge players/team
keep it fun (for the younger ages)

Parent expectations:
get your kid to practice
fulfill fundraising obligations
work with your kids outside of practice
support players
support coaches
show good sportsmanship
sit in the outfield if you cant keep your mouth shut
assist coaches when needed

Player expectations:
attend practice
get to games early
follow team rules
encourage other teammates
sportsmanship
work outside practice
have fun

best of luck!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
On the contract please cover what time to show up. I am seeing girls wander in at 6PM and 6:05, for a 6 o'clock start. While, I have been there for 20 minutes. If you aren't 15 minutes early, you are late. Especially, if it is Sunday.

The parent pulling kid out mid game thing without prior notice or family emergency is simply not acceptable the problem is you have created a monster via the no cut policy. I would hold tryouts and pick up a couple dedicated girls and use the only tool you have make the players that don't care sit the bench. Hopefully you don't have a really great kid who puts it all out there on the field who has parents that are real jerks that is always the hardest, as long as those parents don't infect the other parents it can work but you will soon find out being a jerk seems to be contagious.

Also ditto what Amy said, if my practice starts at 6 that means you are ready to take the field at 6...you have played at least 5 or 10 minutes of catch, stretched for 5 or 10 minutes and run your lap around the field BEFORE 6.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Good advice here, although I'll disagree w/ the idea to add players to the roster. You've already got 11, which is enough to use playing time as a motivator. ... I'd have an end-of-season meeting w/ parents and give a state of the union. Get the input of all the parents. It's one thing to say, 'I've decided it's going to be this way' vs. 'I've sought input from everyone and the consensus is' ...

For the record, I believe in all players batting and playing in every game at 12U - except in cases where kids are not coming to practice or leaving in the middle of a tournament, etc. I don't think you'll have trouble adding that amendment to the team rules.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283