T-Ball Tips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
HIT THE DUMMY-you stand at first base and let them throw at you from about 15 feet away, you will be surprised at how sadistic girls this age can be and they love this.

OUTS FOR ICE CREAM- Hit them slow grounders (and I mean SLOOOOOOW) and every time they correctly field and throw they get 2 points, every time they miss it is minus 1, keep score and when they get to 20 they win ice cream after practice. this can take a long time.

HOT POTATO- Simple hand eye coordination games are valuable at this age so a little hot potato is fun.

Give every one a nickname immediately and do not let them choose it, the coach bestows a nickname.

Oct 22, 2009
With the foam balls along with the "body hits" for getting in front of the ball, I used to do "touches" for balls not in front of them.

With their gloves on, balls were tossed to the side and they got a point for touching the ball with the glove, same with pop-ups, points for just touching the ball. It really made them more competitive with the ball and helped subside their fear.

Balls to fence-- I would hit a ball to the fence and have about 3 at time chase the ball to the fence. I called the ball an "Ice cream cone", first one to the ice cream gets the ice cream! But then throw it back in before it MELTS!

Aug 9, 2013
In the ice cream theme (and this will come out of your pocket or get a dad to donate), place a bucket on home plate and put a quarter in every time they hit the bucket with a thrown ball on ground ball lines. If they knock the bucket over, a dollar goes in. When there is enough for ice cream, go to Dairy Queen/ice cream shop.

Feb 3, 2011
Tons of great suggestions here. I agree that you shouldn't focus on form with hitting. At that age, they're still acquiring a great deal of their motor skills, so simply getting bat to ball is key. I would, however, talk to them a little about SEQUENCE: setup, raise, step, throw hands. Those are basics most 5yo's can latch onto pretty quickly.

For throwing, though, you should have the goal of helping them to develop good form. I would anyway. That's the single most important softball skill of all. Don't take it lightly, even for the daisy-pickers. Enjoy the ride!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish