Swingrail

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Call it a tilted merry go round. Or a ferris wheel.
A tilt-a-whirl.
Tilt_O_Whirl.jpg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
With the merry go round, I just meant the idea of it spinning quickly and throwing something off of it. It's a tight pivot that builds energy and then releases at the right time it into contact. Extending the arms to soon is like getting off the merry go round too soon
Cutrope.gif

Illustration of centripetal force (red vector labeled FT, the force of tension in the rope). When the rope is cut, the centripetal force (tension in the rope) will no longer act on the object. So it will no longer be kept in that circular path by FT and will fly off on a tangent.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
With the merry go round, I just meant the idea of it spinning quickly and throwing something off of it. It's a tight pivot that builds energy and then releases at the right time it into contact. Extending the arms to soon is like getting off the merry go round too soon
Cutrope.gif

Illustration of centripetal force (red vector labeled FT, the force of tension in the rope). When the rope is cut, the centripetal force (tension in the rope) will no longer act on the object. So it will no longer be kept in that circular path by FT and will fly off on a tangent.

The above diagram could be used to describe the swing as being rigidly connected to a rotating body with a timely release. That would be a poor swing model imo.

Imo, the connection that many folks perceive to see is best realized by not trying to be connected.

The swing is about energy flow.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Imo, the connection that many folks perceive to see is best realized by not trying to be connected.
I agree that's why not a fan of 'deltoid drill' or bat on shoulder.
Wasn't there a hitting 'system/belief' like this 'connection. I'm thinking PCR.....Posture, Connection, & Rotation.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I agree that's why not a fan of 'deltoid drill' or bat on shoulder.
Wasn't there a hitting 'system/belief' like this 'connection. I'm thinking PCR.....Posture, Connection, & Rotation.

It is a way to measure/look at a hitter and was never a hitting philosophy. I used it for my dd and am using that same stuff in my lessons now.

The whole "merry go round" analogy is because, imo and some others that have put a lot of time into video etc. the hands come into a relationship with that back shoulder and ride it for a very brief time. However, they can't stay there. So, if you were to try to jump on a merry go round that is going fast, you might ride it for a second but it is going to throw you off. Thus the analogy. The analogy is not about the angle of the hands.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The merry-go-round doesn't throw anything off from a hitting perspective. The swing is a throw ... a throw from a body that is being re-positioned ... you throw off of a body that is being re-positioned ... it is not the re-positioning of the body that performs the throw.

Oct 4, 2011
Thanks CB. I appreciate it. Like your thoughts.

Please tell me more CB... thanks.

turnin2, how have you been? I don't want to hijack this thread with my thoughts so, I'll be brief. I've come to think that the hands get a running start in what I call, "pulling the bow back." The "tip and rip" aspect of what I teach then helps make my player's hands active but efficient. I do believe that they come into a relationship with that back shoulder and ride that relationship for a brief time. How long? I just don't know and am not ashamed to say so. Then, those hands, "come off the merry go round." I don't think that they leave that relationship equally on all pitches and so, the hands help with adjustability. (Adjustability is not a word. LOL) I no longer care to argue the swing with anyone. There are too many experts out there that want to argue their philosophies when, if fact, they haven't done nor do anything with hitters. I seem to run into that a lot lately in my area. I'm ok with being an "ex expert" and saying that I don't know a thing about hitting. BTW, I was told such this past week when one guy said that I might produce great hitting baseball players but none of my softball students will ever hit due to what I teach. You know, the vast difference between a baseball swing and a softball swing. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi