Swing and Miss % - Pitching Stat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
A swing and a miss are great but I will take a 3 pitch inning every time. My daughter is a pitcher and yes I love to see her strike girls out but 3 weak infield hits in a row for 3 outs works for me. To your original question, I would not think a foul ball goes down as a miss, otherwise there wouldn't be such thing as a QAB.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A swing and a miss are great but I will take a 3 pitch inning every time. My daughter is a pitcher and yes I love to see her strike girls out but 3 weak infield hits in a row for 3 outs works for me. To your original question, I would not think a foul ball goes down as a miss, otherwise there wouldn't be such thing as a QAB.

Agreed. A pitcher who strikes out the side - 3-up/3-down - but goes deep into the count on every batter is (probably) going to have the wheels fall off much quicker.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Mide as well share maybe DD'started best inning pitching.

2 pitches, 2 weak ground balls.

Other coach told batter to take a pitch, like DD is not there or might actually have ears.

Threw the batter's dream pitch, strike 1. Grounded out next pitch, she did not have a chance she was annoyed at her coach. :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Mide as well share maybe DD'started best inning pitching.

2 pitches, 2 weak ground balls.

Other coach told batter to take a pitch, like DD is not there or might actually have ears.

Threw the batter's dream pitch, strike 1. Grounded out next pitch, she did not have a chance she was annoyed at her coach. :)

A side-track story about taking a pitch...

10U select tournament game. DD's team down by one run in the last inning. Runners at 1st and 3rd. No outs. Lead off batter at the plate. Things are looking very good for a come-from behind win, knowing how well our top 3 batters tend to hit. Coach gives a "take" to the batter, and has the runner on 1st heading to 2nd on the first pitch. Pitcher grooves the pitch down the middle, and batter can't resist. She hits a fly ball to RF, which is caught (1 out). With the runner on 1st already at 2nd, RF throws to 1B (2 outs). 1B tosses the ball back to P in the circle. For some unknown reason, runner at 3B steps off the base (3 outs). Game over.

Moral of the story: When the coach tells you to take, you take.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Agreed. A pitcher who strikes out the side - 3-up/3-down - but goes deep into the count on every batter is (probably) going to have the wheels fall off much quicker.

Yea another stat I love to look for is the # of innings with <13 pitches. DD has quite a few which is nice. Her pitch count is always pretty low - but she does get hit off a decent amt too :(

We played against a team last night with not so great pitchers. DD and our other pitcher threw a total of 68 pitches in 5 innings. The other team's pitchers threw 147 pitches in 4 innings (since we didn't have to bat the bottom) It was not a great night for them. And they had to play again after us but I am pretty sure they had a 3rd pitcher to use. They still lost but not as bad.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think some are underestimating the value of a pitcher who makes batters miss. Remember that this is not misses per swing, but misses per pitch. To be high in this statistic means you can't too wild because you're percentage goes down for every ball (non-strike) that you throw.

I'd take the SEC leader in this statistic over the SEC leader in pitches per at-bat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish