Swimming

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
My DD is swimming a little with the glove hand. We've been doing a lot of K's trying to get it corrected. She had her first game with a lot of struggles today:( I'm not going to tweak her pitching until after the last tournament of the year in a couple weeks. Have any of you stood by their glove hand and just pushed it back if it's swimming out? I was thinking of trying this?

My DD is swimming a little with the glove hand. We've been doing a lot of K's trying to get it corrected. She had her first game with a lot of struggles today:( I'm not going to tweak her pitching until after the last tournament of the year in a couple weeks. Have any of you stood by their glove hand and just pushed it back if it's swimming out? I was thinking of trying this?

She must practice pitching into her glove with full wind up!U tube Bill Hillhouse.

Dec 26, 2009
My DD had the same problem. One tip her pitching coach gave her was to pitch next to a fence on her glove side. Start far enough away so she wouldn't touch it when she is swimming the way she is now. Throw a few, so she gets used to it. Move a little closer to the fence and have her throw some until she doesn't hit the fence. Move a little closer and repeat. This takes a while (at least it did with my DD, so be patient. You can also stand next to her on her glove side and it serves the same purpose.

May 18, 2009
Remember that if the pitching results are good and the player is not losing balance, swimming is not the worst thing in the world.

You can also have the player fold that glove in, which helps with the thought. I do notice that for curves and less often, rises, you may see more swimming than for the fastball.

I took a bunch of photos yesterday. Some she's swimming and some she has the glove coming down at her thigh. She doesn't have a huge swim but it tends to place her pitches on the outside. This started with some bad instruction from a pitching instructor, two visits, last year. He wanted her "to close the door".

The good news is she has a great leg drive and fairly solid mechanics with a good internal release. Some of the bad from yesterday was from her being tired. It was a camp out and she wouldn't go to sleep and I think that had a lot to do with her performance. She also took a ball to her nose in warm ups right before the game. I thought about telling her coach she didn't look right before yesterdays start. Hopefully she turns it on today!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I took a bunch of photos yesterday. Some she's swimming and some she has the glove coming down at her thigh. She doesn't have a huge swim but it tends to place her pitches on the outside. This started with some bad instruction from a pitching instructor, two visits, last year. He wanted her "to close the door".

The good news is she has a great leg drive and fairly solid mechanics with a good internal release. Some of the bad from yesterday was from her being tired. It was a camp out and she wouldn't go to sleep and I think that had a lot to do with her performance. She also took a ball to her nose in warm ups right before the game. I thought about telling her coach she didn't look right before yesterdays start. Hopefully she turns it on today!

Maybe I mised it but, is anyone considering the self-defense problem here? A line drive in the teeth will quickly cure having the glove down or out away from a good self-defense position.

Point that out to her. Then take rolled up socks, stand in front and to the side as she pitches. The instant she releases the ball throw the socks like you were throwing darts, RIGHT AT HER FACE! It wont take long to break that bad habit.

Then watch how fast her regular defense skills get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd