Surprise start in the circle for DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Well, it was a surprise to me anyway.

We started the HS season this weekend. DD (12yo) drew a start at SS for the 1st game and played like a 7th grader playing their 1st HS game. Made 2 errors on routine plays. Walked in her only AB. Got run ruled in the 4th.

I haven't got work with DD very much since practice started. I get home well after dark and weekends have been more on drills. So, when she came to me and said she was starting the next game, I had in my mind what she did in limited innings last summer. Way too many walks. We worked during the fall, but by the time November rolled around, she was done. I knew she had improved her control, but was still a good ways off. She has about 30 innings total before the HS season started.

I was terrified. All I could think about was her walking in runs. Well, her final line was 4 IP 2 Hits 1 BB and 6K's along with a nice play on a swinging bunt to get the runner at 1st. They lost 3-2. We had one sequence where the girls just lost it. 4 errors on 3 consecutive batters. After the coach called a time out, they locked it back in and made some great plays behind DD.

She also went 1-2 at the plate with a pretty line drive back up the middle.

It wasn't against one of the top teams in the state, but I was thrilled.

I guess pitching nearly every day in practice has really improved things. Hopefully, she sees how the hard work is paying off and continues working.

She has plenty of things to work on and isn't a great, or maybe even good pitcher yet, but for her 1st game, she shined.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
It's public school. She's in the 7th grade and plays Varsity. She'll turn 13 this month.

I would have been fine with her playing JV this year, but this is the coaches decision and I'm staying out of it. Last year, there were several 6th graders playing Varsity throughout the state and countless 7th graders.

During the games, I just sit back and cheer. :)

Feb 21, 2012
Are you talking about High School Varsity?

I take it that in some areas, middle schools have teams and the call these JV and Varsity within the middle school.

We don't have softball in the school system for middle schoolers where I live.

Oct 22, 2009

I take it that in some areas, middle schools have teams and the call these JV and Varsity within the middle school.

Same here, public schools don't start playing softball till high school. I wish they started in Jr High. Here most districts separate 6th grade out and call them middle school, and 7th & 8th are Jr. High.

A lot of the private schools do play softball in jr high.

Mar 28, 2013
My DDs both play Jr High ball but the level of play is just brutal. I can understand why they want to play but man!! I kind of wish it was not available.LOL

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi

Yes, Varsity High School. Or, simply High School.

To my knowledge, and it's limited regionally, there aren't "jr. high", or "middle school" teams in Mississippi. They have Varsity and Jr. Varsity.

The separation between the 2 have no bearing on age, although it's generally the younger ones on Jr. Varsity. 7th graders can play Varsity and 10th graders can play Jr. Varsity.

Jr. Varsity have no district games, nor playoffs. The games are generally scheduled about 1.5 hrs before the High School game, and they play about half the games as the Varsity plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors