Summer entering college question...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I was talking to a friend of ours that said that while other sports started practicing prior to entering the fall semester in college, that their daughter's softball team did not. They were a bit disappointed in that she really didn't get to know the players and the physical part of practice mixed in with the start of school was very rough on her (She plays Division 3). Have any of your daughters started practicing prior to entering their freshman year?

My DD's room mate is a field hockey player and they started I believe a little before classes started bease their season is in the fall but as for softball(this is D1) they started practice right around the 1st of September. Hope this helps

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not sure what NCAA rule says but my dd was in early her freshman year. Oregon doesn't start classes for the fall until late Sept so she was there 4 weeks early for the last session of summer classes. We did not have any expenses from the classes but I believe the school would pay the same % of the scholarship. I would suspect that getting freshmen in for most D1 schools would be difficult. With the major national tournaments being played in July and final summer sessions starting around July 10 or so that would be a lot on the plate for many kids.

That is a good point. Do all players participate in Nationals after their senior year in high school? Is a player better playing TB through the end of July/early August or enrolling early?

Nov 18, 2013
This is one of those times where I should probably just shut up as this does not affect me at all. But... For the parents to be complaining 3 months into the school year, it sounds to me like they are looking for an excuse as to why their dd is not having success, either at the social aspect of school or the physical aspect of the college game. And are blaming it on the school for her not getting a jump start.

I had similiar thoughts. Especially in regards to not making friends. With camps, school visits and social media that struck me as odd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207