Sudden Swing vs Get To Your Spot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Not sure if that was a shot at me or not..not exactly sure what I said that offended you if it was. Whatever it was I apologize.
Not a shot - just an attempt at humor. You said your mom claimed her kids athletic ability was her doing even though she didn’t play sports. That’s some self confidence that she would have passed on.

Jun 8, 2016
Not a shot - just an attempt at humor. You said your mom claimed her kids athletic ability was her doing even though she didn’t play sports. That’s some self confidence that she would have passed on.
Ok..lol. She was just kidding around when she said it..mostly to give my father a tough time. That part, giving people a tough time, I certainly got from her ;)

Jun 8, 2016
Back on topic (my apologies..), the idea of sitting offspeed and adjusting fastball is interesting but I am not sure I have ever heard anybody but Aaron say they did that as a general approach (and not because they were trying to think with the pitcher), at least with less than two strikes.

@Work=wins do you know of anybody else that has said that was their approach? Of course your response could be that he is (arguably) the best hitter of all time so maybe more should..which would be fair I guess.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The whole ‘look for the off speed’ thing is preparing for a fastball early in timing but late relative to the bodys timing w hitting off speed more at a 50/50 so they never really get to their front leg early. In theory they’ll never be outta balance. These guys would work diligently on a short swing to make sure the swing matches the approach. So they could always crush the fastball. Imo it’s why they didn’t strike out half as much and hit for a way higher average then the best players of today.

The destination was offspeed but definitely see/hit fastball on the way. Only can do that if you load for offspeed timing. Later basically. JDs latest swing looks like he has taken that approach. No more inside outing inside pitches.

Now the gurus will push decel hard to nullify the drag swing they created w the 50/50 and the inside out swing path to the middle of the field. The attack area should be line to line. Why shorten your window? Makes no sense to me. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Jun 8, 2016
The whole ‘look for the off speed’ thing is preparing for a fastball early in timing but late relative to the bodys timing w hitting off speed more at a 50/50 so they never really get to their front leg early. In theory they’ll never be outta balance. These guys would work diligently on a short swing to make sure the swing matches the approach. So they could always crush the fastball. Imo it’s why they didn’t strike out half as much and hit for a way higher average then the best players of today.

The destination was offspeed but definitely see/hit fastball on the way. Only can do that if you load for offspeed timing. Later basically. JDs latest swing looks like he has taken that approach. No more inside outing inside pitches.

Now the gurus will push decel hard to nullify the drag swing they created w the 50/50 and the inside out swing path to the middle of the field. The attack area should be line to line. Why shorten your window? Makes no sense to me. 🤷🏽‍♂️
You didn't answer my question..:) You are saying they worked dilligently to get a swing which matched approach but I don't recall anybody else having that (mental) approach (or at least admitting it verbally) outside of Aaron.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WW, I don't know what this means. Are you saying he could have strided longer as long as he was 60/40 ?

I don't see a difference between 60/40, 50/50 as long as the rear leg/hip relationship hasn't been compromised (the engine is the same).

mvZpqjg.gif

Like a 60/40 then put the foot down and let the swing finish the shift on an inside pitch. There’s for sure a shift before hand. Don’t get me wrong.

Or they can move to more of a 50/50 for off speed. Never really getting to an unbalanced position before swinging. I do agree that sagittal loading matters etc. I’m just saying the timing to go to the pitch is destination off speed hit the fast ball on the way. I think guys use the planes in degrees differently. They all don’t load or stride the same length if that makes sense. They all don’t sit as much as another etc etc.

I just notice that they all come forward as late and softly as possible trying to maintain the rear leg/hip relationship as long as possible through timing not movement. Until they read the pitch. Then they commit or adjust. If that makes sense.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You didn't answer my question..:) You are saying they worked dilligently to get a swing which matched approach but I don't recall anybody else having that (mental) approach (or at least admitting it verbally) outside of Aaron.

I didn’t get to you yet. 😆patience. They all say they want the ball to get there or they want to catch it or they want to back the ball up right? They do it w timing not path. But then they pull the ball?! They don’t filet it to the oppo gap. At least not the greats. They don’t want to go and get the ball they want to wait for it. While still being able to leverage mostly everything on any pitch.

Ted describes it as having a short stride and being quick. If that doesn’t scream wait I’m not sure what does.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Look at Stan. Long stride? Not really. Puts the foot down short to ‘turn’ on a pitch. Notice the posture adjustment also.

1649773676198.gif

What I notice w all the greats is they get the hips to drop immediately from go. I haven’t seen one where they don’t. Think it’s the main key to timing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi