Struggling with outside pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2009
Dd Is really struggling with hitting the outside pitch. So much so that any good pitcher is striking her out with ease on three outside pitches. I'll try to post a video but was wondering if any of you had drills to help her out with this. Thanks

Oct 25, 2009
IMO, the outside pitch should be worked more than any other. Not only does it develop the necessary bat path for hitting the outside pitch it helps them experience the ball getting deeper in the zone. The deeper in the zone they can hit, the longer they can wait on a pitch and the more connected they will be at contact.

Start with tee work with the tee past the center of the body back toward the catcher. As Jim, of Batjack fame, recommends, use a short bat also when working outside tee.

The most work should be from front toss from behind a screen set up about 20-25 feet at an angle toward 3rd (for a righty) from the plate, throwing across the front edge of the plate outside.

There will be lots of moaning and groaning so expect it and carry on, anyway. At first, there will be lots of sliced foul balls and right field pop ups, but that will change as they learn not to drop the barrel head.

Oct 10, 2011
IMO, the outside pitch should be worked more than any other. Not only does it develop the necessary bat path for hitting the outside pitch it helps them experience the ball getting deeper in the zone. The deeper in the zone they can hit, the longer they can wait on a pitch and the more connected they will be at contact.

Start with tee work with the tee past the center of the body back toward the catcher. As Jim, of Batjack fame, recommends, use a short bat also when working outside tee.

The most work should be from front toss from behind a screen set up about 20-25 feet at an angle toward 3rd (for a righty) from the plate, throwing across the front edge of the plate outside.

There will be lots of moaning and groaning so expect it and carry on, anyway. At first, there will be lots of sliced foul balls and right field pop ups, but that will change as they learn not to drop the barrel head.
Why the short bat? To force them to let the ball get deeper in the zone in order to connect?
Psycho...I took SBF's advice on practicing the outside pitch with my dd and it has paid off big time. Surprisingly, she never complained because she knew it was her weakness.

Oct 25, 2009
Can't get a mental picture of this.

Instead of setting the screen up in the pitching lane, you put it off towards 3rd base a little and only about 20 feet from the plate. You want to throw controlled pitches outside, off the plate. Speed of the pitch isn't important.

Oct 25, 2009
Why the short bat? To force them to let the ball get deeper in the zone in order to connect?
Psycho...I took SBF's advice on practicing the outside pitch with my dd and it has paid off big time. Surprisingly, she never complained because she knew it was her weakness.

I use the short bat for one-handed top hand swings. For one thing it helps teach the feeling of the necessary bat angle for hitting outside pitches. Many players, and coaches for that matter, don't realize the serious tendency of dropping the barrel on outside pitches.

When the players start hitting right field gappers they have a much greater appreciation for their new skill.

May 31, 2012
Got this from Tim waltons dvd. Set up screen on first baseline throw front toss to her back hip( for rh batter) tell her to focus on driving the ball to right center. This helped my DD

Jun 20, 2008
I have to ask does she see that they are strikes and swing and miss or does she see them as balls and not swing...without knowing where she sets up at the plate or seeing her swing everyone is just guessing...

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have to ask does she see that they are strikes and swing and miss or does she see them as balls and not swing...without knowing where she sets up at the plate or seeing her swing everyone is just guessing...

Along that line of questions. How does DD set up at the plate,meaning where does she stand? Can she reach an outside pitch. Take a look at DD she how does she rotate when swinging. Is she down and in? Does she over rotate? To hit an outside pitch you need to be down and in an wait for the ball to get deeper. You only rotate shoulders and hips as far as where the ball will go. Belly button pointing rotating and pointing in the general direction of the ball. Some hitters over rotate with the lead shoulder pointing to left field/dugout(RH) pulling off the ball and "running" out of bat. Video would help,just throwing out possibles.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Video and age would help.

When mine were young I liked to "show" them where to hit pitches in the zone. Inside pitches we like to catch them out front to pull them. Meat middle pitches we want to catch them at the plate. Outside we like them to get deep and then drive them.

So starting young or someone who is having trouble hitting any zone I use side soft toss. ( With RHB, you will be tossing from LHB batters box over the plate )

The whole purpose of this is to teach and let them get a feel for WHERE to contact the ball. It really is very simple but has worked good for me.

1. Outside pitch you want to toss it behind the front foot, so they can feel the swing and spot.
2. Middle pitch you want to toss right at the front of the plate.
3. Inside pitch you want to toss 6" or so in front of the plate.

After dinner I'll see if I can find a video on YouTube or a baseball site to post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80