Stride drill needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
It is funny to hear you mention mention drive leg strength. In 10u my DD was trying to figure out her motion she wanted to use. While goofing around in the yard one day she bent over like a folding knife and then came up and exploded, throwing one of her hardest pitches yet. She thought it was too silly to use, but it was effective and fast. We saw a girl in the CWS doing the same thing and she decided to use it in games. She became very effective at it. She was throwing mid 50's in 10U and scaring lots of little girls. Her PC got her to stop doing it because it was wearing her out with all of the extra motion, but she learned how to drive off the plate/rubber. She now does the slide the foot thingy across the plate. So I definitely believe in developing the drive leg strength. My DD's do walk through drills and long toss.

Jan 6, 2013
How hard does she actually throw? If she's throwing all arm and her arm whip is incredibly fast and she doesn't put on the brakes, how much stride does she need? The farther my DD strides, the slower her arm whip gets. She merely starts on the rubber from a relaxed position and then pushes down and then out with her arm whip. Works for her. She just entered 14U. She pitched in 12U Eastern A ASA Nationals and she has now moved back to 43 feet and actually pitches harder and all without a long leg stride. Jump up in the air and try throwing a ball before you land. That's essentially what a pitcher is doing if she is pitching with a long stride. Why get a couple feet closer to home plate if you are taking substantial speed off the throw? Pitching isn't about MPH. No pitcher has to throw a mile. It's more like millimeters per second or rate of deceleration. Velocity is everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie