Stretch & Fire Success!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
shortswing-0.00.00.00.jpg

The only issue i have with this list is #5

Is the concept, the deeper it gets, the more TIME, it buys you?

This sends my mind into several dirrections about short swings.

i was always taught go with the pitch. we all know what that means.

How much time? compared to pitchers speed, from say 99, to 89, .

i would like to hear the gurus on this. #5

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Does the barrel stay next to the rear shoulder or pass by the rear shoulder?

How do the hands get pass the hip?

Does the distance the hands have to travel to deliver the barrel dictate how long a swing is?

Unfortunately, if you connect the bat to the rear shoulder and maintain a connected position. Your bat head is committed way to early.

If you maintain a connected position and keep the bat barrel next to the rear shoulder. The barrel is not just traveling around the back shoulder bout it is traveling around the shoulders. It is creating a big radius versus a small radius which using the hands as a pivot point create.

Do you consider this swing long or as short as there can be?

V_H_300FPS_BB_AndresTorres_C_High_HR_ToRF_001_166-225_C.gif

No one advocates the bat touching the rear shoulder. They come around in an arc around the shoulders, or on a low pitch around the waist. And yes to the third question in part. The tip of the bat once it is committed determines the length of the swing.
The rest is foolishness. Pure foolishness.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
No one advocates the bat touching the rear shoulder. They come around in an arc around the shoulders, or on a low pitch around the waist. And yes to the third question in part. The tip of the bat once it is committed determines the length of the swing.
The rest is foolishness. Pure foolishness.

Based off of your just foolishness comment you are getting frustrated.

I never said you advocated to the bat touching the rear shoulder. You did say it gets near the rear shoulder and stays there in a connected swing.

Your next comment where you say they come around in an arc around the shoulders or on a low pitch the waist is truly pure nonsense. You are describing the longest swing possible.

Now it is, when the tip of the bat is committed determines the length of the swing? I am now confused. Are you saying commitment as in your definition of when the tip starts to move?

You didn't respond whether or not the hitter in the clip has a long or short swing based on your definition.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Very compact!

OK, good. You commented on the Pujols clip. Please tell me if this is long or short in your eyes. Thanks

I know you guys think I am trying to bash someone here but that is not true.

If a woman tells you that you are incredibly handsome. You feel good until you see her telling someone you find repulsive that he is incredibly handsome.

I am just trying to figure out if you see things the same way that I do and then I can base my opinions on how you see the swing.

Jan 13, 2012
Does the barrel stay next to the rear shoulder or pass by the rear shoulder?
In good swings, it passes by the rear shoulder. In this one, it's glued to the rear shoulder. Nothing can happen until he starts rotating the body

How do the hands get pass the hip?
He rotates the entire body to do so.

Does the distance the hands have to travel to deliver the barrel dictate how long a swing is?
YES. Also, the distance the hands travel to create speed. In this swing, a long way.

Unfortunately, if you connect the bat to the rear shoulder and maintain a connected position. Your bat head is committed way to early.

If you maintain a connected position and keep the bat barrel next to the rear shoulder. The barrel is not just traveling around the back shoulder bout it is traveling around the shoulders. It is creating a big radius versus a small radius which using the hands as a pivot point create.

Do you consider this swing long or as short as there can be? This swing is very long. He has the "5 frame swing," which doesn't measure anything outside of having a 5 frame swing. It's kind of like a standardized test in that regard.

Answers in bold.

Jan 13, 2012
View attachment 3188

The only issue i have with this list is #5

Is the concept, the deeper it gets, the more TIME, it buys you?

This sends my mind into several dirrections about short swings.

i was always taught go with the pitch. we all know what that means.

How much time? compared to pitchers speed, from say 99, to 89, .

i would like to hear the gurus on this. #5

If your speed is in front, you have to hit the ball out front. If your speed is deep, you can hit the ball wherever you want to.