Stretch & Fire Success!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Now you just sound like a petty, frustrated person....is that really the persona you want to take on?

You have not been able to really dispute anything said here in the last couple of weeks - you just continue to rant....

Knight's DD improved greatly without doing the front arm work you prescribed and now it seems you have to start making things up just to CYA....

I am not making anything up - there a bunch of hitters out there that are using the technique a couple of us are advising.

You can't see it because you have either never felt it (I know this is definitely O'learys case) or because your ego is preventing you to....

But, I am sure you will continue to bang your head against the wall....

And FWIW - the first hitter isn't in HS yet - I was referencing her summer team and the other hitter plays for me in the summer so I know her stats....

But, in fairness - what is it SPECIFICALLY you don't agree with and think I am making up?

And furthermore, I don't agree with guys like MTS who make stuff up and say this represents this and that, and don't have a clue.

Everyone here can see her swing. They can also see her premature wrist roll. And you can make up anything you want in stats. Hey HS coach, perhaps all the coaching is poor out there and your competition level is lacking?

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
When the tip of the bat travels in a wide arc before approaching the ball. In a connected position, the bat barrel stays near the shoulder, and until the hands pass the hip, the bat head is not committed. So the arc or the bat tip travels only around the back shoulder, is lined up generally behind the hands, then is whipped at the ball. On an inside or outside pitch, this distance in principle, is about the same. It is just released earlier like the SnF drill. However, I consider this a detriment for hitting inside pitches. As I have said many times, I do not consider this concept bad, completely! I consider it offers two good things, hitting deeper if applied correctly, and teaching coil. As I also said, I teach coil, but I don't teach all coil, to every girl. It is individual. Chris O'Leary. I only know a few people here by name. Chris O'Leary, SBfamily, and straightleg. I don't know any Booth or Yeager.

Does the barrel stay next to the rear shoulder or pass by the rear shoulder?

How do the hands get pass the hip?

Does the distance the hands have to travel to deliver the barrel dictate how long a swing is?

Unfortunately, if you connect the bat to the rear shoulder and maintain a connected position. Your bat head is committed way to early.

If you maintain a connected position and keep the bat barrel next to the rear shoulder. The barrel is not just traveling around the back shoulder bout it is traveling around the shoulders. It is creating a big radius versus a small radius which using the hands as a pivot point create.

Do you consider this swing long or as short as there can be?

V_H_300FPS_BB_AndresTorres_C_High_HR_ToRF_001_166-225_C.gif

Feb 3, 2013
That is good, but Marcus, looks to be taking credit for it and he didn't bring it to the forum.

Please refrain from implying untruthful statements. Can you point to a post in which I claimed to author the step open drill? No you can't. Many here know the author of the drill, it's purpose, and value.

Feb 3, 2013
Just be careful Mann, Marcus I feel is a wolf in sheepskin. He isnt being up front with any of us.

Mann has seen first hand how Knight's kid has progressed at a rapid rate. Many wish the same progress for his kid as well.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2013
Well, I will tell you what I tell other people. Almost any reasonable coaching improves a players performance level. I think there are things which you teach, which are worthy. I just don't agree with one point you teach. And furthermore, I don't agree with guys like MTS who make stuff up and say this represents this and that, and don't have a clue. I think HS coaches should be going to more clinics and doing more learning! There are some dads here who do and will know a lot more than their DD's high school coaches. Like straigtlegs or SBfamily for example.

Red Bold: All coaches should be on a program of continuous learning.

Black Bold: What is the one point of disagreement? Perhaps we can discuss it.

Oct 12, 2009
Does the barrel stay next to the rear shoulder or pass by the rear shoulder?

How do the hands get pass the hip?

Does the distance the hands have to travel to deliver the barrel dictate how long a swing is?

Unfortunately, if you connect the bat to the rear shoulder and maintain a connected position. Your bat head is committed way to early.

If you maintain a connected position and keep the bat barrel next to the rear shoulder. The barrel is not just traveling around the back shoulder bout it is traveling around the shoulders. It is creating a big radius versus a small radius which using the hands as a pivot point create.

Do you consider this swing long or as short as there can be?

I'm not sure what your point is in using this clip.

The ball was a home run that was crushed; it hit the top of the right field foul pole. That was the only thing that kept it from going into the water.

- Torres Home Run 10.1.2009

This is the same swing that worked in 2010 and that I've been trying to get him back to.

Last edited:

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I'm not sure what your point is in using this clip.

The ball was a home run that was crushed; it hit the top of the right field foul pole. That was the only thing that kept it from going into the water.

- Torres Home Run 10.1.2009

This is the same swing that worked in 2010 and that I've been trying to get him back to.

My point is to see what Steve sees as a long swing or a short swing. He stated earlier about a long swing. He then said what he considered a long swing and a short swing. I am now just showing a video clip of a hitter. That way I can see what he considers as a long or short swing.

It doesn't matter what the results were. I have taken some pretty crappy swings before and hit the ball 450'. Is the only requirement of a high level swing that it went over the fence?

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Steve,

Is this a long or short swing?

PujolsIR.gif

and are the 2 hitters I posted doing the same thing?

Jan 25, 2011
Red Bold: All coaches should be on a program of continuous learning.

Black Bold: What is the one point of disagreement? Perhaps we can discuss it.

Who, is we? What do you bring to the discussion, I'm still waiting, for one shread of taught about this thread from you Marcus. All you have done so far is answer a question with a question and then use someone else taught. The only I thing have to offer is to question your motives on this site. Before you even ask me what, I have added to this thread? Is nothing, just like you.

Last edited:

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
When the tip of the bat travels in a wide arc before approaching the ball. In a connected position, the bat barrel stays near the shoulder, and until the hands pass the hip, the bat head is not committed. So the arc or the bat tip travels only around the back shoulder, is lined up generally behind the hands, then is whipped at the ball. On an inside or outside pitch, this distance in principle, is about the same. It is just released earlier like the SnF drill. However, I consider this a detriment for hitting inside pitches. As I have said many times, I do not consider this concept bad, completely! I consider it offers two good things, hitting deeper if applied correctly, and teaching coil. As I also said, I teach coil, but I don't teach all coil, to every girl. It is individual. Chris O'Leary. I only know a few people here by name. Chris O'Leary, SBfamily, and straightleg. I don't know any Booth or Yeager.

Are these swings long or short based on your definition? are they all the same?

Cabrera_FB_highside_sync_zps31b2f45f.gif