Straightening out posture.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
My 10 year old newish pitcher had a really good lesson with a coach last week. When we went out without the coach yesterday she somehow developed a habit of swinging her hips waaayyy to her left to clear her throwing arm. Are there any drills to help get rid if this habit? Its pretty exaggerated but she didn’t believe me when i said she wanst standing straight up. Any suggestions on how to explain it?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I agree, video with a phone is an easy way to give her a visual look. If you have a sliding glass patio door it can act as a big mirror during the day. Have her 'pitch' at the door, no ball of course.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
John

Make sure she drives straight forward to help stop the exaggerated opening up. See if she is turning the back foot open to much. Really anything that would cause opening to much. Drive straight forward.

Jun 26, 2019
That all sounds like good advice. Man,this is a painstaking process! She takes help from dad better than my oldest one, but still doesn’t listen to me as well as the coach we are working with. Why is it everyone who is a good pitching coach is so busy? 😉

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
That all sounds like good advice. Man,this is a painstaking process! She takes help from dad better than my oldest one, but still doesn’t listen to me as well as the coach we are working with. Why is it everyone who is a good pitching coach is so busy? 😉

My students and parents clash. My nieces kids. I coached my niece and she was a very good pitcher. They listen to me, although I ALWAYS give positive reinforcement. I’m only interested in their development and not interested in fixing everything yesterday. 🥎. My two students are identical twins which is fun. Their only in their second year of playing. Played one year of 10u, then COVID wiped out their second year of 10u. They’re in their first year of 12u.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
The video and mirror suggestions are great. Agreed your DD may not realize she’s doing it. My DD was that way. She had no idea until I showed her.

One thing I’d add is challenge her to keep the laces of drag foot facing the “catcher” as long as possible. “Show your laces” was a cue for my DD.

A lot of new pitchers will have their drag foot turned so the inside of the foot is dragging.

And don’t worry. This issue is common in new pitchers. She’ll get it figured out.

Jul 27, 2020
Was going to post something similar as well.

My DD has a tendency to “scrunch” down sometimes rather than keep her posture tall. When she does this she tends to open up and her pitching arm isn’t “brushing her ear” and wrist not “brushing her hip” almost like her arm circle is 3/4 rather straight circle. When this happens she can’t “catch up” with her arm swing with her hips opening up and tends to lead to outside pitches to a right handed batter.

Seems like this started to happen as she was trying to throw harder and gets out of whack.

Not sure is that is what is happening with your DD. Her coach wants her to starting from X position looking at a wall to make sure she is getting the proper circular arm motion and brushing her bicep to her ear and brushing her wrist on her hip with the downswing.

Don’t mean to hijack your thread but wanted to see if anyone had similar experience with their DD and If you have any other drills or tips on correcting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad