Starting A New Travel Club

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
What is the age group? If they are 12 or older, why do you feel like you need to start a travel team? In our region, we have dads starting teams and organizations because their DD is disgruntled with her team/coach/brand, DD is usually a good if not the best player on the new team, and she gets surrounded by mediocre travel and above average rec players. This is a tough road to hoe, and the dilution of talent in a region or state, is a shame. I would really evaluate your objectives of why you feel you need to start a team before you set about really doing so...and if so, I would advise you have a roadmap for your coaching staff and reasonable expectations for what you want your team to be. You should also have a strategy for tryouts, how to pick players with parents who know the travel game, or know what you have to teach them. The players you are trying to reach, most likely have or are playing on other teams, and why are those players so willing to leave? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but you should go into it with your eyes wide open.

In my case, we were rec-10s moving up to 1st year 12U and I took 9 players including my DD, picked up 2 from tryouts and started a travel/comp team. We were horrible, but in our second year we were so good, the other 12u coach gave up his team in our organization. Now we have a very good 14u team that is starting to peak.

I hope you find this valuable advice...

Last edited:
May 23, 2014
Pasadena,Tx
Be up front and honest, tell the parents what the plans are, practices, fundraising and remember depending on the age, let the kids be kids. You don't have to play every weekend, plan ahead. Many parents are trophy hunters and will jump from team to team. Remember it is a marathon not a sprint.

Mar 29, 2012
Do you want to start a new org or just a team?

If it's just a team find a established org and run the team under their umbrella.

One of the most important things is being a 501c3 IMO. It helps a ton in fundraising and sponsorships that's where an established org helps.

we have dads starting teams and organizations because their DD is disgruntled with her team/coach/brand, DD is usually a good if not the best player on the new team, and she gets surrounded by mediocre travel and above average rec players. This is a tough road to hoe, and the dilution of talent in a region or state, is a shame. I would really evaluate your objectives of why you feel you need to start a team before you set about really doing so...and if so, I would advise you have a roadmap for your coaching staff and reasonable expectations for what you want your team to be. You should also have a strategy for tryouts, how to pick players with parents who know the travel game, or know what you have to teach them. The players you are trying to reach, most likely have or are playing on other teams, and why are those players so willing to leave? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but you should go into it with your eyes wide open.
I have seen what is described above so many times I now forget who the players were.

Other things to ask yourself honestly: Why should established players come to your new team? What is your main selling point? If the above scenario is in an way true of your situation, why would good players want to come to a team that is being built around girls who were not considered top players on their last team?

The conversation in the softball community will sound something like this:

Parent #1: "Have you heard anything about this new Wildcats team?"

Parent #2: "Yeah. The dad of the #2 pitcher on the Diamond Divas last year is forming his own team so she can be a #1 pitcher. Their #3 catcher and a couple of pissed-off families of non-starters from the Lady Tigers are going with them."

Parent #1: "So, you're telling me that the core of this new team is a #2 pitcher and three disgruntled girls who sit on Sundays?"

Parent #2: "Uh huh. That's precisely what I'm telling you."

Parent #1: "OK. So the Wildcats are not an option. Thanks for the heads-up."

I'm not saying this is exactly what is going on with you, but I've seen this almost every single year I've coached. The story is almost always the same, and the new team struggles. It isn't just the logistics of doing it on your own, which are monstrous. It's trying to get talent to buy into your product when they are going to be very skeptical from the beginning. Without talent, you don't win. Without winning, the talent doesn't come next year, either. Rinse and repeat.

Jun 1, 2013
Actually, IMO, it is the large organizations and there need for more money that is driving the influx of new teams. Not saying the disgruntled pitchers dad doesn't do it because that does happen. However a lot of orgs charge that monthly fee and don't play everything they say they will. Or they upgrade mid season, replace their starting player with the hot new stud and not only keep the old players money but charge the new player as well. Money driven. The orgs are not for profit but the people working them are. 16a team was charging players $1500, they literally played 4 tournaments all season and then had the nerve to ask a guy for the remaining $300 he owed! Teams are watered down now but that process started the first time an organization realized they could make a decent profit. If you have the knowledge, the desire, and the kids willing to learn, start your team and good luck to you. If you are a good coach, the kids will be drawn to you because I promise they have already had bad coaching.

Oct 10, 2010
Since someone will eventually post it, I'll get it out of the way now:

Q: Any tips or advice on starting a new travel club?
A: Yes. Don't do it.

I disagree....If your doing it for the right reasons, and enjoy coaching, go for it. I did it and it is working out great. The biggest stress for me was making sure I had access to fields in order to practice. My goal was not trophies, but putting together a group of kids that wanted to play at a higher level. I recruited families more than talent. I wanted zero problem families on my team and into our second season all is great. Winning alot of games, everyone gets along, and kids are improving.

Something else I did.....I didn't commit to ANYTHING until I had 2 pitchers who could get the job done. Once I had the pitchers, I went full steam ahead.

Good luck!!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Depending on the age and level of ball you expect to play, the first thing I would do is find a #1 pitcher. It is much easier to recruit position players when you have pitching lined up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55