Sportsmanship issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just playing Devil's Advocate (I actually agree with you), couldn't it be argued that the catcher is distracting the batter by yelling? Bunting takes skill and that could startle the batter and cause her to miss the ball altogether.

Maybe it could be argued, but I would be very surprised if it got the arguer anywhere. The catcher isn't trying to confuse the batter, or trying to distract them into doing something different. It's common defensive communication.

Jun 11, 2013
I like your DD's attitude, but it's extremely wrong. It's always been wrong and always will be.

I put it up there with teams that yell just as the pitcher is about the pitch or fans who yell
miss it when the ball is in the air.

Fake tags are another no-no in my book.

Yelling Bunt when the batter is about to bunt is helping your team not hurting the other.

Oct 31, 2014
Kansas City
Then the fastball to the head, ribs, knee, etc. wouldn't come as a surprise...because pulling that bush league crap would happen exactly once...

Oh, and that's an acceptable response. Your logic doesn't add up.

She said daughter asked the question : Daughter is wanting to win really bad : Isn't the right way to win : Daughter is taught that it isn't right way. In the end it is a competitive spirit that I was applauding.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has never, to my knowledge, hit anyone on purpose but if she played against some of the players other posters have mentioned that might change. I did not like the head part but the rest I am OK with.

Daughter: I am going to be an idiot
Dad: You will get one in the ribs your next at bat

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Just playing Devil's Advocate (I actually agree with you), couldn't it be argued that the catcher is distracting the batter by yelling? Bunting takes skill and that could startle the batter and cause her to miss the ball altogether.

You need deliberate, unsportsmanlike conduct trying to purposely distract the batter for this to come into play.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I like your DD's attitude, but it's extremely wrong. It's always been wrong and always will be.

I put it up there with teams that yell just as the pitcher is about the pitch or fans who yell
miss it when the ball is in the air.

Fake tags are another no-no in my book.

Yelling Bunt when the batter is about to bunt is helping your team not hurting the other.

Fake tags are also covered in the rules. It's a form of obstruction that could also get the fielder ejected from the game.

Aug 26, 2015
flip the script,, how would you or your dd feel if she is moving toward a pop up and someone from the other team screams out "Mine" causing her to miss the ball? Would you feel like that was part of the game and to be expected, or would you think that was a bush move?

I'll give you my answer, in every level Its a bush move.

I didn't ask for your answer. I asked what is the proper decorum for the sport my DD loves and that I know little about. However, to answer your question....if my DD was in the infield and the batter runner yelled "mine" and caused her to miss the ball, I would think it is fair game if my DD did it to them. Seeing as I don't know the nuances like you, I wouldn't know to consider that bad sportsmanship. I came from the basketball world. Everything this about "confusing" the opponent. When they shoot, you clap your hands to distract them. When you aren't getting the rebound, you yell "ball" to get the opponent to think their teammate has it. When your opponent is about to shoot his free throws, you mention something to them in an attempt to distract them. As other posters have explained this in their responses, I can see HOW this is bad sportsmanship based on the rules and the spirit of the game. However, asking a simple question about what is proper decorum shouldn't be translated to these extremes IMHO. This is part of the reason people don't want to ask questions now.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Why? If I don't know the answer to something, I'll ask. It's much better than assuming to know everything. I don't mind asking a stupid question as long as I'm not stupid by NOT asking a question.

Agreed. It is my belief that it is far better to be thought to be stupid than to be stupid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi