some people need some real issues to deal with

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ok, so the rest of my afternoon is shot... thanks a lot marriard, i hold you personally responsible.

The fun part is that many of the DD's discussed in these threads still play. We played against one of the 'stars' in the top 10 list last year...

The internet is forever.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
In our local rec league the numbers were pre-printed 1-13. 1 is xs and 13 is Big girl size. We basically lined them up smallest to largest and handed them their jerseys and if they wanted to change with another player of the same size, no problem. High School is pretty much the same around here. 1-20.

This is what DD's middle school team does also. DD is #1 lol. The bigger you are the higher your number. I can't imagine someone getting so bent out of shape about a number. My kids first few years she wore 00 because that was my number when I played ball and it was also my dad's number for years when he played slow pitch. She switched teams at one point and another girl already had 00, so she picked 99 of all numbers. (She is a hockey nut) Been that ever since, but really could care less what her number is as long as she's playing ball.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I remember the old movie "The Fan", where DeNiro's favorite player is traded to DeNiro's favorite team, and has to change his number because another player already has the number 11. So DeNiro kills the guy who won't give up his #11.

Just rent out a pole barn and show the movie to all the kids. :cool: That will solve the problem quickly.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
My kids' high school hands out jerseys based on size - the higher the number, the bigger the size. My son (freshman baseball) wanted to be number 22, but the number 22 jersey went down to his knees. He settled on 14, which is still a little big on him. Maybe it'll fit by senior year. My daughter got her favorite low number freshman year purely because she was the tiniest person on the team and was the only one who could fit into that jersey. By senior year that jersey was rather tight but darn it, she wasn't going to give up the number. Anyway, I think many youth parents tend to treat their kids and their teams like mini D1s, and not just any D1, but D1 mens basketball traveling in style to the final four. No, your 8 year old's team does not need brand new matching game uniforms, warm ups, practice jerseys, matching cleats, Beats to listen to inspiring pre-game music and a private plane to travel to the ends of the earth to seek out "the best" competition.

Hang in there, Coach! My DH coached youth sports for 15 years, from 4 year olds playing soccer to 18U softball. It definitely has its ups and downs but the kids make it worth it.

Edit: who here remembers when the Boston Bruin's (later the Colorado Avalanche) Ray Bourque was number 7? The Bruins held a pre-game ceremony to retire Phil Esposito's number 7 jersey. Ray came skating out onto the ice wearing his own number 7 jersey, and took it off to reveal his new number 77 jersey. A class act all the way.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
not really sure what I am asking, mostly needed to vent a little, but am I crazy, or is this mom (dad subsequently emailed and said he was mainly venting too, he coached one year of coach pitch, I think when he sat back and thought about it he calmed down)? I really feel like saying if she can do a better job, take the training, submit a Vol app and $3 and coach a team. I think a lot of parents have no idea, even at LL/rec level, about all the crap a manager/coach has to deal with, besides just running practice and games.

The primary reason I never became a head coach is because I have a character flaw that prevents me from dealing civilly with idiots....especially ungrateful idiots who's DD I am VOLUNTEERING to coach, and I may explode into a turrets induced tirade if an idiot pushes my buttons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283