Softball Power Drive

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
PC used that red thing on DD for two sessions and I made one from a shoe box. - removed bottom and one end, used duct tape to reinforce all around. After a couple of practices- we never needed it again.

Mar 24, 2014
Our PC has the power drive and use it for drills. It helps keep the foot in place during push off but also puts your body in an athletic position to generate power off the pitching rubber. This helped my DD get more power.

Dec 4, 2013
Yes, the block that keeps the pitcher's foot straight should not be used. The best drill for push off is the stork drill, where the pitcher starts on one foot. She can put it at a natural angle to start. Not sure why there needs to be an repositioning of the push off foot, whether a slide, a pick up of the toe, or a rocker back and forth. Sprinters just go forward.

Or the 2 step.....

I had a girl who couldn't keep her foot straight either. She would turn 90 degrees and step out with virtually 0 drive. I bought a power drive, made a ridiculous foot trap device and still no results. Honest to god we did the 2-step for 15 minutes and her push off improved 100%. Six months later I would now consider her to have a pretty solid leg drive! It's worth a try.....

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
After working the power drive the only real benefit is a good weight transfer back. My daughter spun her foot all the time on the powerdrive.

Feb 7, 2013
There is one big difference that no one is mentioning when discussing the sprinters start. Sprinters are attempting to keep their shoulders square to the finish line. Pitchers on the other hand are trying to get OPEN when they push off and stride. This is the reason most pitchers turn their pivot foot slightly out to allow the hips (and shoulders) to get open during the stride.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There is one big difference that no one is mentioning when discussing the sprinters start. Sprinters are attempting to keep their shoulders square to the finish line. Pitchers on the other hand are trying to get OPEN when they push off and stride. This is the reason most pitchers turn their pivot foot slightly out to allow the hips (and shoulders) to get open during the stride.

Therein lies the mechanical issue that must be evaluated. There is a point where the amount of turn is excessive leading to issues up the chain.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
We don't like the rocking back and the forward (or the accompanying glove swing back forward but that is disappearing more quickly). Just want to go forward like sprinters. So push is all on the front foot against the plate or the hole. Sprinters back foot is against a block, while pitcher's not. Running track the back foot was more like a stabilizer, and I ended up doing mostly long jump which is really the front foot pushing off, so long ago can't remember.

I don't like that red torture thing because like some have said, some pitchers/sprinters have an outward angle to the foot naturally. Forcing it straight is a waste of time.

Wide receivers also sprint, and they push with both. Sprinters push with both during relays (no blocks). Pushing with only one foot is only using part of the available power. Long jump isn't sprinting, doesn't apply here.

As for the device, it sure looks to me like there's enough room for the foot to turn/move some. The issue for my DD is she is turning her foot 90° prior to the push/drive. I will have her try the one foot/stork thing, that will save me from having to build the contraption, thanks for the link to the video.

Nov 3, 2013
Stoddard, WI
Wide receivers also sprint, and they push with both. Sprinters push with both during relays (no blocks). Pushing with only one foot is only using part of the available power. Long jump isn't sprinting, doesn't apply here.

As for the device, it sure looks to me like there's enough room for the foot to turn/move some. The issue for my DD is she is turning her foot 90° prior to the push/drive. I will have her try the one foot/stork thing, that will save me from having to build the contraption, thanks for the link to the video.

THis subject is covered in the free videos on the page where you do a K drill off the device working on straight toe drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission