softball fan etiquette?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2011
Hello all, was wanting to get a few opinions on something we have encountered a couple of times lately.
Our 14u team was playing in a "friendly" tournament this weekend, and when moving from field to field, found "our" bleachers and surrounding areas to be occupied by the previous game's fans. Now they have a game break, and decide not to leave their coveted shade. We are in the desert southwest, with temps over 100 degrees, and shade is very hard to come by, but there are ramadas and areas nearby that they could move to.
(We always clear out quickly, to allow the next game's fans into the bleachers for their game)
A few people staying would be fine, and we actually get to meet and mingle with other teams that way, no problem. We are a friendly enough bunch of people, but when they take up the whole shade, and refuse to move, it just seems rude to me. (and yes, we will occasionally ask if they are staying or going, so if we have to find other places to go, at least they know they are inconveniencing us). Yesterday we had a group of them actually loudly rooting for the other team just to tick us off (both teams were visiting from out of town, so we know there was no reason for this behavior other than to bother us). They actually cheered when we made fielding errors, and got louder and louder when we asked them to stop. "we can root for who ever we want" was their response. Of course they can, but I really think they just wanted to be jerks and start a fight. (there was shade and room for them in the other team's bleachers).
When one of our parents went to find a person from the host team to complain to, it happened to be a family member of the people in question, and she actually came over and joined them. Needless to say, we will not be coming back to this town for "friendlies" again.
Has anyone encountered this type of rude behavior? In retrospect, we should have just ignored them altogether, but it is a hard thing to do. It almost felt like we were being pranked in some hidden camera social experiment.
Thanks for letting me vent. Any advice?

Apr 9, 2012
If your not watching and cheering for the dugout you are sitting by then you should leave. Imagine how it feels to a child to hear their bleachers cheering for the other team......devastating.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Wow, I have never experienced this before. I would think they should move to allow the playing teams parents access to watch the game. Heck they could watch from the outfield fence line if they wanted to stay close to the fields.

Jun 11, 2013
I know our team always clears out as soon as we are done. If we play the following game we may ask the next group if we can keep our shades for them to use, but will always move if they don't. Often they do. As far as rooting for the other team that's just awful. I'm guessing it's a new travel team.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Next time that happens why don't you say something like...."If I throw you a stick, will you leave?"...Or, "Too many Freaks, Not Enough Circuses"

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
It is everywhere, not just softball.
Soccer is the worst...typical etiquette is sit across the field from your kids team, staying on the same half of the field. So many times my kids game has run into the start time of the next game, we travel to the field where next game is and find the other team waiting and all their fans taking up the whole side of the field. No place to watch.

Church xmas programs...so our church seats like 3000. 3 sunday kids xmas programs 2 hours apart...never fails, kids could be in first program...we get there half hour early...all seats taken or have jackets etc on them...so we become 1 of the 1000s without a seat. Program starts and "saved" seats are still empty...people saving seats at 8am, when they aren't going until the 11:00 am program.

Orchestra....EVERY concert, no matter where I sit, someone sets their tripod up RIGHT in front of me...side complaint, why are my wife and I the ONLY orchestra parents that know more than 10 words of english?

As a matter of fact softball is probably the best etiquette...my guess is because people can be hurt around here for peein off the wrong sball fan.

Jul 2, 2013
I don't think it's rude. Then again I don't have a team to root for; I am a floater. People stay in the shade, once they get it. Obnoxious cheering that's another story.

Just plain rude, unacceptable, and obnoxious. I am a floater too, and sometimes will sit on the opposing side (especially if the sun is in my eye's), not reveal my alliances, and speak with the opposition to get their take on things. Always respectful and if I have an inkling I am in someone's home spot, I ask.

The travel softball world gets smaller and smaller as the DD's get older. Parents like this, without even knowing, hamper the DD's future by sticking out and telling the whole world "you don't want me on your team". Let them be ... karma will work against them in due time.

Young DD parents have no clue on how small the world of travel gets. It is so important to be respectful, especially to great opposing teams and players. Some of the best conversations I have had are with great, just great DD's ... parents. It is no wonder my DD has a pick of teams to play for. Yeah she is good enough, but when just about everybody likes their parents, you become a wanted commodity. Please understand young parents.

Of any lesson to parents to get their DD ahead, this is it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26