Softball Christmas ideas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

keb

Nov 22, 2011
Ok, DD has asked Santa (she is 8) for softball items in general. So now I am at a loss of what to get without breaking the bank :) She does not need a glove or bat. She wants to take pitching lessons but unfortunately, that will not be able to occur anytime soon. So I was wondering if there was a good beginner pitching training DVD for that would get her started (understanding it would not replace true training)? Also, any recommendations for related items? agility training, batting DVDs, fielding DVDs or other training items, etc? I believe she would love anything like that but we have no clue and do not want to get her something that perhaps she may be too young for and could cause harm. She is 8 and will be 9 in the next couple of months and does play on a travel team (first year 10U). I have researched this but would appreciate your expert recommendation as well :) Thanks!

Oct 19, 2009
I was like you with no good pitching coaches in our area and the distance and cost was a little too much for me. Daughter wanted to pitch so I purchased some Ernie Parker starting pitching video tapes and worked on the drills with her in my spare time, this was 8 or 9 YO.

She never pitched in a game, until she was 12 where she played up on a 14 under travel team. One team was killing us and in desperation he put daughter into pitch and they could not get around on her she struck out the finial six with foul balls into the screen all the best they could do with her. She was their pitcher from then on.

All she had was a fastball and a change at the time I did not know how to show her breaking pitches, she was successful with these 2 pitches but, needed more. We tried about 3 pitching coaches who tried to change her motion and she was getting worse in stead of better.

The we found the coach she has been with for three years and he added braking pitches, improved her mechanics and she has been doing great and loves to pitch.
The Parker tapes are out dated so I would check youtube for pitching instructions they have some that may get you started and Hillhouse or others here may have some videos for beginning pitchers.

Good luck!!!!!
:cool:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I would/have get her The Epstein CD-Rom How to ''Hit" your potential in just 7 days.Easy to understand. Good start to how to hit.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Keb, where do you live? We might be able to recommend some private instructors. I would buy her a batting helmet and a bucket of balls, I think.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves