So, What do you expect your coach to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
There should be not questions or subordination with the players when it comes to positioning, strategy, and game management.

However, I disagree with skills coaching. Some may want that help and others may not. The way to deal with this is playing time. If a player isn't getting it done, then move her in the order, completely out of the order, sit her instead of playing her in the field. Parents will get the message and then it is up to them to make a change or accept their fate.

Only in an effort to play Devil's Advocate here....
This would seem to assume all the teams in the world can fill spots with someone else who is capable....
I then ask, Who coaches them to make them capable? Not every parent can. just a differing opinion.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
If your not asking these types of questions then you are setting your self up for disappointment. Why anyone would make a blind commitment is beyond me.

Great point. Blind Commitment happens all the time. Also, Coaches are clear on their beliefs and parents later claim coaches were not. e There is not a perfect world and I am learning this through the mistakes I have made in these early years. There will always be a gap between parents, coaches and PC's. It is just part of the gig for us all. We need to listen more and talk less. Hard to do though.

Jul 2, 2013
I do have to admit tho, I laugh when a HS wins a State Championship, and the coach gets Coach of the Year awards... Sorry your 3 months with the girls don't amount to much when in reality it was the TB coaches 10U and up that developed the player. But does the HS coach EVER say it... Nope!!!!

Very few people in the general public care about TB. TB is for college coaches only.

HS is for the general communities. They talk about it at work. Read about it in the newspaper. Argue about it among neighboring communities. And yes ... have HS Coach of the Year Awards.

The vast majority of TB could not coach HS, where many decisions can be brought up to the Athletic Direct, and Principal, because "Susie" did not get her spot.

I appreciate the TB coaches who developed my DD. Her glory, I mean real respect from her friends, family, neighbors, restaurant folks ... all come from high school softball.

Embrace HS softball. It has so much to offer if you do.

MY gripe about TB and the general player is that each and every TB will spend thousands of dollars in TB, but ask them for a few hundred dollars for their HS team? ,,, sigh, selfish people, many of them. Me ... me ... is that college coach noticing ? ... how can I get noticed? ... ME!!

HS softball is for others. Most never understand. And yet you get rewarded many times over in ways money cannot buy if you do.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I do have to admit tho, I laugh when a HS wins a State Championship, and the coach gets Coach of the Year awards... Sorry your 3 months with the girls don't amount to much when in reality it was the TB coaches 10U and up that developed the player. But does the HS coach EVER say it... Nope!!!!

You certainly have a point, but I have heard many HS coaches in ''club'' sports (non-football/basketball) give credit to the talent they are blessed with. There was a tennis coach in Georgia whose teams were something like 150-0 in her six seasons. She ''retired'' undefeated. Got all sorts of awards. But she was the first to admit that she didn't coach or develop these girls. That doesn't mean she wasn't valuable. She helped make the kids proud of their school and team and want to be a part of it. Players loved playing for her. She kept egos in check despite the need to cut year-round players and make some nationally ranked players play doubles. I got no problem w/ HS coaches getting recognition despite their good fortune in talent.

Also, is it correct to say that travel ball coaches develop players? When I consider my daughter, there are many people she needs to thank for her development, but the one who deserves the most credit is probably her. She did the work.

Nov 2, 2012
I am with cannonball! HS coaching is pretty much a thankless job. I would expect the TB coach to give my dd the extra time and experience that she wants and needs to be a great HS player. I expect her HS coach to play the best 9 and support her and her teammates in becoming better players, team members, and citizens. If we could leave the politics at home, all would run smooth. Unfortunately there is way to much finger pointing in both directions. How about just playing ball, getting better, and living the dream? It should be about the kids no matter TB or HS, or whatever level A,B,C, Gold, Elite, JV, V, etc...... someone stated something similar before, but the #1 person deserving credit should be the athlete for putting in the time and improving their skill level. Adults are always too eager to take claim for making someone a super athlete when that is not necessarily the case... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anafeli