So, I teach them to pitch and the coach has them catch.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2012
Raymond Ohio
Even if you take the everything away from this situation as stated, I would not want my pitchers catching. Some coaches
do not want their pitchers hitting. Others do not want them running the bases. It seems a bit much having a player learn two very important positions at the same time that involve so much use of the legs.I can not see how this would be a good situation at all.

Oct 25, 2009
I recall a 16U player who loved pitching and catching. She wanted to do both. This worked fine until I made the mistake of catching her one game and then pitching her the following game, the same day, with about a 1 1/2 hour break. She just wasn't at the strength she would have been and it showed up during the game.

If you're going to do both, pitch first, followed by catching; not catching followed by pitching.

As far as water breaks, I like the post describing the player calling for water when she wants water. No one can deny her that!

DSC

Feb 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I am having a hard time understanding how a MS age player cannot catch 4 innings and pitch 3. I know not all players are fit but really? It is up to the player to keep hydrated, even during innings. She can call for time. If the coach doesn't provide her water then her parents have to. This isn't travel ball where she is playing in a different climate, she should be acclimated already. What happened to the endless energy kids used to have? Again...JMHO

That is a rather dangerous point of view. Do you coach? If so, I would not have my child playing on your team, sounds like you are willing to sacrifice the well being of your players for a win. Would you also tell a player who has an injury to suck it up and finish the game even if it means further damage and perhaps life long injury?

I don't care what level of play you are at, it is the first responsibility of a coach to insure the well being of every player.

I don't understand all the bashing of the MS coaches either. I have seen TB coaches that are far worse about this very type of scenario.

As for a suggestion in this situation, it is time for the parents to step in and talk with the coach. The player may be a bit intimidated by the coach and feel like she has no choice, or she may just want to play that bad. As a coach he/she should be able to evaluate the level of fitness for each player and insure they are played in a safe manner. That's not to say a comfortable manner, but not to a point of heat illness.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
That is a rather dangerous point of view. Do you coach? If so, I would not have my child playing on your team, sounds like you are willing to sacrifice the well being of your players for a win. Would you also tell a player who has an injury to suck it up and finish the game even if it means further damage and perhaps life long injury?

I don't care what level of play you are at, it is the first responsibility of a coach to insure the well being of every player.

I don't understand all the bashing of the MS coaches either. I have seen TB coaches that are far worse about this very type of scenario.

As for a suggestion in this situation, it is time for the parents to step in and talk with the coach. The player may be a bit intimidated by the coach and feel like she has no choice, or she may just want to play that bad. As a coach he/she should be able to evaluate the level of fitness for each player and insure they are played in a safe manner. That's not to say a comfortable manner, but not to a point of heat illness.
He didn't say they have to suck up heat stroke, he said its not as big a deal as its been made out to be here. If the temp is 100 degrees like Amy's example, yeah its very hard especially. for a kid who has never caught. But I don't think a kid who catches 4 innings and pitches 3 is in a worst position then one who catches the whole game. My dd has pitched and caught in the same game. Its not ideal but its happened. She has also caught full games and pitched full games on the same day. Is it perfect, no but its what the team needed so she did it.

Catching is very hard in hot weather. But lots of games are played with one catcher during the whole game. That's more dangerous then having a girl pitch half a game and catch half a game.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
If so, I would not have my child playing on your team, sounds like you are willing to sacrifice the well being of your players for a win.

How'd you miss the part where the coach has his pitcher/catcher run 5 miles in between innings without water? I'd at least address that.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal

How is my post stating I do not understanding how a 12/13/14 y/o cannot play 7 innings dangerous? Where in my post suggests I would put winning over a little girls health?

There is a difference between hurt and injured.

I do agree if you are going to pitch/catch in a game pitching should be first.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. I went to "student's" game last night and I have a bit more information. #1, is I was happy the with the coach. When I got there, he was doing dynamic stretch and was doing it with them. Yeah! One little girl that had been ineligible, was sent back to the school to get her grades and she got a pat on the back from coach and was in uniform.

The male coach is the math teacher and appears to be middle aged. He has NO help and no 1st base coach.

He only has 2 girls that can play ball, Student and Fireballer. Student warmed up Fireballer and Student caught her, in full gear. Then, Student's dad caught for her. Student started the game catching. She caught 3 innings and the team did well, since no one hit the ball. :) Then, the coach switched the catcher and the pitcher. My gal is clearly a #2, but has only had 4 lessons. So, in the 4th inning, the bases were loaded with 2 outs and he switched the catcher and the pitcher. Fireballer got out #3. In the 5th inning, Fireballer started out to the circle, but coach said "No, it is Student."

So, my gal caught, pitched, caught, and pitched. Her mom is not happy and went directly to the car after the game. Oh, it ended in a tie.

I introduced myself to the coach. He was dragging the water container and his own stuff across an acre field. I cannot stress enough that he is patient and helpful and is trying. He told me that Fireballer is the only TB player that would even go out for the team. The TB coaches are frowning on the girls playing school ball. But, then he says that they run into 7th grade teams that are mostly TB players and they get mowed down.

Anyway, I had painted the coach in a bad light and he just has his hands full. He worked all day and is more than patient with the girls. The weather was milder last night, only in the 90s. So, temperature did not play a role.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Last game of MS this year I do not think we had a runner reach 2nd base, pitcher was really good. The other Team had some of the same Issues we did but a few Players dominated the game. Oh well.

Glad you liked the coach.

Jan 24, 2011
Glad to hear the coach isnt so bad. We do this quite often on this site. We here stories (or parts of stories) and automatically start talking about how bad a coach is without really knowing anything else about him/her. Typically , just a whole lot of overreaction.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
OK. I went to "student's" game last night and I have a bit more information. #1, is I was happy the with the coach. When I got there, he was doing dynamic stretch and was doing it with them. Yeah! One little girl that had been ineligible, was sent back to the school to get her grades and she got a pat on the back from coach and was in uniform.

The male coach is the math teacher and appears to be middle aged. He has NO help and no 1st base coach.

He only has 2 girls that can play ball, Student and Fireballer. Student warmed up Fireballer and Student caught her, in full gear. Then, Student's dad caught for her. Student started the game catching. She caught 3 innings and the team did well, since no one hit the ball. :) Then, the coach switched the catcher and the pitcher. My gal is clearly a #2, but has only had 4 lessons. So, in the 4th inning, the bases were loaded with 2 outs and he switched the catcher and the pitcher. Fireballer got out #3. In the 5th inning, Fireballer started out to the circle, but coach said "No, it is Student."

So, my gal caught, pitched, caught, and pitched. Her mom is not happy and went directly to the car after the game. Oh, it ended in a tie.

I introduced myself to the coach. He was dragging the water container and his own stuff across an acre field. I cannot stress enough that he is patient and helpful and is trying. He told me that Fireballer is the only TB player that would even go out for the team. The TB coaches are frowning on the girls playing school ball. But, then he says that they run into 7th grade teams that are mostly TB players and they get mowed down.

Anyway, I had painted the coach in a bad light and he just has his hands full. He worked all day and is more than patient with the girls. The weather was milder last night, only in the 90s. So, temperature did not play a role.

Objective, firsthand observations tend to shed a different light on a situation. You said he was dragging a water cooler - I assume he let them use it during the game? If there's only 2 real players on the team, and there's a clear #1 pitcher, than mom needs to be thankful that the coach is trying to develop players rather than just win, or else your student wouldn't be getting any any circle time. I still don't see what's so physically demanding about playing P and C for just 1 game. Anyway, the mom needs to chill, the student needs to take more lessons, and DFP needs to send the coach an e-apology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan