Size of hand

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

liviking

Liviking
Jun 17, 2010
Long Island ,NY
This question is mostly for pitching coaches . Dose the size of the girls/womans hand have a major influence on the type of advance pitch she will be able to throw ? Will it limit her to throwing certain pitches and enhance it for woman who have large hands ? Thanks in advance :) !

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The size of the hand is too generic a question when it comes to throwing different movement pitches. The length of the fingers, the strength of the fingers, thumb, hand and wrist are all a factor. Add all those up and that equals the pitcher's ability to throw whatever pitch.

First and foremost, with all that being considered, with a new grip finger placement on the seams, can she still hold onto the ball during the windmill circle, does it slip out?

I know three different riseballs and depending on the ability, strength and pitching stamina of the student, I have started them off on ONE of them as early as 9 years old.

I have also had 14-year-old students that were 5' 9" and 'Stickgirls' that could start the game throwing 58 mph. By the end of the 2nd inning they were having problems hitting 50 mph and every 3rd pitch was in the dirt in front of the plate. Her strength was gone and she had no grip left, the ball just slipped right out of those long, skinny and weak fingers.

When I went to a game where one of my students was pitching, I would always shake their hand and wisj them luck just before the game. I called them a sissy if they gabe me a 'dead fish' handshake. I made them squeeze it hard. Then in the 4th inning I would congratulate and get another 'Real' Handshake. This time I would note the difference in grip strength AND any other indixator it was painful (grimaces, slight moans, etc) If any of those were present, I had to speak to the coacg and let him/her know she was about done and why.

Lots of indicators that a pitcher is getting tired and the first muscles used in pitching to get tired; The smallest ones, in the fingers and hand.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd