Shoulder Dip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
I agree with JJ, I wouldn't coach that "dip" out of her either. Use it. Look at the hip and then whip she does in that first vid. Great stuff. Get the glove over the ball on the up swing and get her glove knee and ball synced up at 4 o'clock on the front side and her sequencing will get in order. Look for Boardmember clip of the Cali walk through and that is a good example of the front side timing / sequencing I am talking about. Get her sequencing like that and you'll be on your way.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I agree with JJ, I wouldn't coach that "dip" out of her either. Use it. Look at the hip and then whip she does in that first vid. Great stuff. Get the glove over the ball on the up swing and get her glove knee and ball synced up at 4 o'clock on the front side and her sequencing will get in order. Look for Boardmember clip of the Cali walk through and that is a good example of the front side timing / sequencing I am talking about. Get her sequencing like that and you'll be on your way.

Lookin .... can you find it and post the link ??? ...Thx

If you can, I'll add you to "the List".... Everyone who has contributed on this thread to help jaysz280 has helped us... thur the years :cool:

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
RT- I don't see her as shouldering the ball at all. I see girls with a high throwing shoulder as trying to shoulder it.

As I mentioned earlier, I think one of the issues that exaggerates the appearance of too much shoulder dip is the lack of timing with the glove slap (i.e. she is putting too much emphasis on the left, throwing side; while the sequence should be up together, down together.

I just don't see much shoulder dip for the standard fastball. If you are throwing the riseball, you can lower the back shoulder a little but with new pitchers, I would not emphasis back shoulder dip.

http://www.softballpowerdrive.com/1000fps.html

Jan 29, 2015
So, we are all in agreement that the glove hand is out sequence with the ball hand. Are we all in agreement that the left shoulder dip is an issue or not an issue?

Jul 4, 2012
So, we are all in agreement that the glove hand is out sequence with the ball hand. Are we all in agreement that the left shoulder dip is an issue or not an issue?

Does she miss high a lot? My DD had issues hitting low in the zone, and the cue of get the back shoulder up at release or get the front shoulder down at release helps her. Thanks to Coach Rick Pauly...

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
waiting for agreement on any given topic is a tough road, at the end of the day it is up to you to decide what is and isn't an issue. I have both completely ignored and completely followed input on pitching from pretty much everyone on this site. Lots of consensus here but also enough differences to allow for two opinions to both be correct. A lot of pitching instruction just comes down to what works for the individual pitcher. As a parent or coach, if you tackle the wrong thing, you can spend a lot of time on a snipe hunt. For me, if I can't link something I perceive as a flaw to a negative outcome then I take a pass on worrying about it until I see some evidence of the flaw either limiting improvement or causing an outright problem.

So I would ask how is her speed for her age? how is her accuracy? is she having any problems getting the right spin on any pitching she throws?

Jan 29, 2015
Yes, totally agree on all points. I just hate wasting time even through she is still young and just learning IR. My biggest fear is that we move forward and then have to come back it because we didn't take care of it earlier. As far as accuracy it is still to early to tell because we have done very much full pitching using IR mostly drills. The feedback that she gives is that she looses the brush when trying to do full speed walk ins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi