Should I keep taking her to pitching lessons???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
30 minutes a week just isn't enough.

I think it was Hal that said, "Pitching is like a piggy bank, you can only get out what you put in". That's a very true statement. There is no magic pill or secret move that the pitching coach can give your daughter that will make her a better pitcher. She needs to practice and work on the homework given at each lesson. 30 minutes 3x a week would be great, if you can find the time.

Your daughter will soon learn that pitching is competitive. Not just competitive against the other team, but competitive within her own team. If there is another kid on her team practicing 30m 2x a week, and your daughter is practicing 1x a week, then the other kid will most likely end up being twice as good, and getting twice the amount of time in the circle.

As a parent, we want our kids to be happy, right? The key to a pitcher being happy is when they have ample opportunity to pitch. Pitchers that don't get to pitch are miserable. That means that for our pitcher kids to be happy, it's in the parents best interest to help them be good at pitching. Now, this can be taken to extremes, and often is, but the premise remains the same.

You're already doing the right thing by getting your daughter lessons. You've taught her that there are subject matter experts in the world able to help out and teach specific skills. Now you need to teach her the lesson of dedication and working to achieve goals. Even if she gives up pitching, she'll at least glean an understanding of what it takes in order to be successful.

-W

Aug 1, 2011
TN
I would like thank all of you for your comments. As I was reading to posts last night I realized that up until the beginning of the month we were busy with something most of the time. Monday fall rec league games, Tuesday pitching lessons, Wednesday church, Thursday team practice, Friday family night, Saturday tourneys, Sunday tourney or church and throw in the half hour of pitching at home. I have paid up for 2 more lessons and maybe after stop until the beginning of the year. That will be her trial period to see just how bad she wants it. Softball Mom#7 thanks I try to give equal praise & criticism but I will start focusing on the good. Starsnuffer, thanks very well put and very helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes