Should I keep taking her to pitching lessons???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2011
TN
My daughter has been taking lessons since last December with about a 2 month break when her sister was born. She started the same time 2 other girls begin. One 6 months older and the other 1 year older. The other girls have been pitching in games, working on different pitches, etc. My girl is still struggling to pitch consistently even close to strike zone, mechanics lack sometimes. There is the occasion she will sling a ball right down the line and it stings the hand. She says I want to pitch and her pitching coach hasn't given up but they are getting paid. I guess I'm just looking for other parents or pitchers to share their stories / experiences. Thanks for your time..

Last edited:

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
If the pitching coach gives homework, are you two able to find the time to get it done?

My DD saw a big gain when she started practicing between the lessons. Especially doing floorwork without the ball. Video can also make a difference where dads can't.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have yet to see a first year girl that I would move on to different pitches. Your DD is probably fine. But she does need to practice at home and refine her overhand throw.

Aug 1, 2011
TN
Pitching lessons once a week for an hour and before it got cold one evening at home half hour.

Aug 1, 2011
TN
What do you mean by floor work? She has just started watching a pitching video and taking notes.

Aug 1, 2011
TN
She is 9 and turns 10 in may. She just made the move up to kid pitch from 8u coach pitch.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
DEFINITELY too early to give up if you're judging performance. I've had girls take a full 3 years before they clicked, some of whom are my best pitchers now.

Never too early to give up judging by commitment. She should be working on her own, and bugging you to practice. If you don't get the impression she's serious, don't waste your money. If she wants it, absolutely let her keep at it.

Aug 1, 2011
TN
I tell her she needs to practice at home, but I don't want to push to hard. Refine her overhand throw?? She has a pretty strong overhand throw but a little wild sometimes..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g