Should I buy her a catcher's mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I'm glad the GXS92 is working well for her. It's a great glove. I'm not quite sure why they market it exclusively as a full-sized adult glove when it makes such a wonderful intermediate mitt also.

Apr 11, 2013
I had to laugh alittle when you said she is small for her age at 4'9" and 80 Lbs.....My DD has been catching from age 7 and turns 11 this July...she is 4' 6" and 65 lbs lol...I got her all her gear but a catchers mitt last year and got her a mitt this year...sofar she is doing well with it just diff then she has been used to.

Feb 5, 2013
I had to laugh alittle when you said she is small for her age at 4'9" and 80 Lbs.....My DD has been catching from age 7 and turns 11 this July...she is 4' 6" and 65 lbs lol...I got her all her gear but a catchers mitt last year and got her a mitt this year...sofar she is doing well with it just diff then she has been used to.

Andrew72,

My daughter turns 12 in August and, after a trip to the doctor last week, she is only 75 lbs.

After a couple months with the mitt, she's struggling with it a bit. She likes it, but I think it's just a bit large for her right now. I'm planning to have her warm up our pitchers with both her mitt and her normal glove and see if there is a receiving difference.

On the bright side, she's working her tail off this year ... but I'm still afraid the time is coming soon to migrate her away from being a catcher. Probably get her through the season as part time catcher and see where we end up.

Apr 11, 2013
Grogger31.......I think both our girls will be on the small side thruough out their paying days lol...and we are in the same baot for the mitt being alittle big right now but from what I can tell my DD is doing better with her mitt then she is with her glove...she tells me its because she is a catcher and now and has all the right gear...I laughed but thought if thats what builds her up so be it.

DD is firm that she wants to be catcher through out but I am looking to find another posistion to have her well rounded....its nice boost when the head coach for ther HS Varsity walks up and says he is keeping an eye on her and cant wait till she is at the age to play HS...helps me know Im doing something right and DDs hard work is in the right direction.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Andrew72,

My daughter turns 12 in August and, after a trip to the doctor last week, she is only 75 lbs.

After a couple months with the mitt, she's struggling with it a bit. She likes it, but I think it's just a bit large for her right now. I'm planning to have her warm up our pitchers with both her mitt and her normal glove and see if there is a receiving difference.

On the bright side, she's working her tail off this year ... but I'm still afraid the time is coming soon to migrate her away from being a catcher. Probably get her through the season as part time catcher and see where we end up.

tried to tell ya...

Feb 5, 2013
DD is firm that she wants to be catcher through out but I am looking to find another posistion to have her well rounded....its nice boost when the head coach for ther HS Varsity walks up and says he is keeping an eye on her and cant wait till she is at the age to play HS...helps me know Im doing something right and DDs hard work is in the right direction.

I hope she continues with it, but it will be harder and harder as the bigger, stronger catchers will be getting all the attention in Junior High and playing travel ball. DD is a decent infielder, but she seems to be enjoying trying outfield too. She has a natural talent there and enjoys fly balls most when we go out to practice. The Junior High was practicing before us yesterday, taking fly balls. Her ability to track a ball and catch it properly was WAY ahead of theirs, but we still need to build arm strength.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Just curious, is she reaching out front for the ball? If weight is already an issue, catching with a straight elbow will magnify that and wear her down faster.

Hope the effort pays off for her. If she's got the disorder, she won't be happy unless she's squatting in the dirt.

Feb 5, 2013
Just curious, is she reaching out front for the ball? If weight is already an issue, catching with a straight elbow will magnify that and wear her down faster.

Hope the effort pays off for her. If she's got the disorder, she won't be happy unless she's squatting in the dirt.

No, if anything she has the opposite issue ... keeping her glove too close to her body. The glove weight isn't the issue, more of the overall size.

Our season doesn't start for a few more weeks, so we'll see what happens.

Apr 11, 2013
Grogger31.......I really dont think we will have an issue with the bigger/stronger girls because the ones playing catcher dont want to be there...so they just half way go thru the motions...we are from a small school so that helps as well.....my DD's main thing is working on arm strength...but she is keeping in pace with girls a few years older. She is quick behind the plate and hustles after the ball none of the other catchers do that...due to they dont want to be there....DDs drive to be better then the big girls is funny at times but proud she wont let size hold her back... team practices start in a cpl weeks...should be fun for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207