Should fielders know the pitch call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2015
Should the fielding positions have a pitch call card in order to know the pitch call? Some coaches share the pitch call with fielders to give them an idea of the expwcted outcome of the pitch. My fielders do not receive the pitch call, my expectation is for them to know what to do with the ball pre-pitch and be ready for the ball each pitch.

Jul 5, 2016
In theory, at least, a rise ball, for example might result in more popups so the outfielders don't need to be as deep. So, fielders should know the pitch and as skill levels improve, they can adjust their positions accordingly.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm? Good thinking question @Zach!
Just because a pitch goes to a certain location/spot doesnt mean the batters will always hit to a certain location/spot.
That said,
Communicating to the team generally helps keep everyone included and engaged.

Jul 5, 2016
Hmmm? Good thinking question @Zach!
Just because a pitch goes to a certain location/spot doesnt mean the batters will always hit to a certain location/spot.
That said,
Communicating to the team generally helps keep everyone included and engaged.

If you have the skills, you can play to the probabilities. Patti Gasso used the shift sometimes when Paige Lowary was pitching playing the odds that the batter wasn't going to hit down the left field line.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If you have the skills, you can play to the probabilities. Patti Gasso used the shift sometimes when Paige Lowary was pitching playing the odds that the batter wasn't going to hit down the left field line.
Like Strategy at all levels!
Tho never applied the shift.
Have played against it.

Played with Patti Gasso at Long Bch State, she played 3rd.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
If you are at a high enough level for it to matter you would have to be careful that your fielders aren't tipping pitches. I would imagine top college teams would scout enough to notice things like that

Oct 4, 2018
Our little team played a really strong, old, big team. Our little pitchers were so slow compared to theirs.

We put on a shift (the classic kind with the second baseman way over on the left side) and it worked beautifully. Lost the game 4-5 but hung in with the big girls. It was fun.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
IF! your pitcher can execute pitches and location, I think there is value. Seen teams that the 3rd baseman walks to the edge of the circle and takes the sign along with the pitcher and SS/2nd relays sign to OF. If as a batter, I see the SS shift towards the middle and CF take a couple steps towards RF, could I then look/hunt for a pitch on the outer half? Can a 13 year old process all that or will it just distract her attention away from seeing the ball , hitting the ball?
Use to coach 12/13 year old boys and had a AC that could figure out opposing teams signs usually by the 2nd inning. 3rd base coach would call boys number for off speed or name for FB. Maybe 2 or 3 of the boys really could process information in game speed and use it for an advantage while it may have been a hindrance to others ability to focus on the task at hand.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
I would imagine this plays both ways. If you're playing at a level that your defense could shift based on the pitch call, pretty sure the other team is going to notice too...

Just make a play, doesn't matter what the pitcher is throwing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd