Sharing bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2015
Thanks everyone. I certainly don't want to be seen as a miser, but bats *are* expensive! I have no problem with the girls trying it out to see if they like it, and really don't even mind them using it in a game (though I have seen too many girls slam their bats into fence posts during warm ups.....) It's the thought of 5 girls hitting 50+ cage balls a piece with it multiple times a week that concerns me. But it is also entirely possible that those families are in the market for a new bat and just want their daughters to try one out before buying their own.

I spoke to DDs private coach (not affiliated with the team) and she seemed to think I should have a lower quality BP bat anyway for DD. So I think I can solve the problem gracefully by just picking up a practice bat and keeping the good one at home until game day.

Feb 7, 2013
I spoke to DDs private coach (not affiliated with the team) and she seemed to think I should have a lower quality BP bat anyway for DD. So I think I can solve the problem gracefully by just picking up a practice bat and keeping the good one at home until game day.

My question is why not use the bat in practice that you will be using in the game? Batting is tough enough without having to practice all the time with a "low quality bat" and can only use your "high-end bat" in games? And I certainly would not do this to solve the problem "gracefully". There is a saying that "when you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one". Why short change your kid because some parents are too cheap to buy their kids quality bats.

It's your dang bat. She will out grow it in a year anyways so swing away any chance your DD has to use it, whether its batting practice or in real games. The only caveat is if its a composite bat, you might not want to hit with it if you are using a pitching machine with the hard, dimpled balls that might damage the bat (and invalidate your warranty).

Dec 11, 2010
We ended up doing what Rocketech suggests. We hit everything, including dimple balls and baseballs with bats that get used in games.

One qualifying statement: we don't hit junk dimple balls that get soaked with water and baked in sun that are heavy and hard. Dimple balls that are soft and in decent shape is all we hit. In the winter we only hit room temp balls. Not cold. That is important.

Some years we have last years bat that is the same size so if you have two IDENTICAL bats one is a practice bat. Most years, there is only one bat in the bag. That bat will hit a lot of balls.

This has worked for us, I have had to do warranty on one Xeno over the years, broken in a game. I am mentally prepared to whip out the plastic and order a new bat at any time and pay for next day shipping but only did that once when she broke the bat in a game. Did it from the stands during the game then did the warranty on the bat she broke. Warranty can take a week or two. She had two bats that year, younger dd is using one of those bats this year. Great bat.

Nov 19, 2013
Mass
Had a game last night. Few players came straight from field hockey and 2 girls left bat bags in the car as the mom drove off....2 players used my DD's bat and both had great days at the plate. Guess the whole sharing bat thing can be a good thing :) They can use it whenever they want from this point on.

Jul 15, 2015
We have team bats from 28 to 32 inch. I had a hard time convincing parents new to travel ball the value of a good bat so I used some of the money we fundraised. (A few are bats I had already) This has worked out real well. It saved all the parents a chunk of change. I don't have girls swinging bats they are going to grow into. All the girls can now swing a hot bat. I do watch how the bats get treated. No cages. No sword fighting. Only thing I don't say much about is hitting the plate. Nothing beats a 10u player eye balling a pitcher while smacking the plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1