Running Down To 1st

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2012
At what age do you teach that the catcher runs down to 1st, trailing the BR? I recently saw a 9U game where the C literally beat a few down the line. I thought it was a bit odd because there was a "no overthrow" rule so it seemed pointless to waste her legs like that.

All ages.

Now, you must teach them situational awareness as well.

With runners on - Catcher is staying home to direct traffic.

Now, with no one on, it depends where the ball is hit and how.
Ball hit to Center or Left - Catcher trails runner the first third of the basepath.
Ball hit to Right - Possible play at first - Catcher moving hard to spot for overthrow. (Could be the dugout fence depending on angle)
Ball hit to third - Right Fielder moving hard to overthrow angle. Catcher trails runner as above.
Ball hit to middle-infield - Catcher moving hard to spot for overthrow.

This is why it became common practice to have a runner assigned to your catcher like you have one for the pitcher.

Lastly, this is another reason why I like bigger teams. Playing 6-8 games in a weekend with only one catcher, to me, is cruel to your catcher. Depending on how the game is going, consider substituting mid-game instead of alternating every other game.

Sep 29, 2014
Again it depends where that spot is, if the ball is hit down the RF line and RF is there quickly for possible play at first C might be best to stay put or just take a couple steps up and to the right. If ball is hit to left field I am not sure exactly why the catcher is running hard to anywhere?

All this to say the most important thing is to:

1) As C be ready and alert and play the correct angle and backup when needed
2) As RF same thing; know the situation and know the angles and backup when needed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi