Runner on 2nd giving pitch location

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
I don't mind if I see a player trying to let her teammate know what's going on behind her in the batter's box. My dd plays 11u and they were playing up in a 14B tourney one weekend and the 14u parents were the ones calling out locations to their batters. I, personally, thought that was so wrong. Luckily, the coaches caught on and talked to the catcher about setting up too early.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'm trying to think of an appropriate term to describe an adult who takes delight in the pain of a child.

Somehow 'life winner' doesn't seem to work.
I have never seen a child playing college softball. But there is a first time for everything.

Let's be clear I have never advocated hitting a batter out of retaliation for some transgression. But if you want to play games, call out pitches and try to take away the inside of the plate, we will come at you high and inside on the river. At that point you can bail or take one for the team. But if you elect to stay and lean into the pitch you are going to feel it. You play your game we play ours.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We play 14U A and our runners are taught to give location if possible. We've played 50+ games
this year so far and no one has said anything. We played a team last weekend who are a hybrid between
a rec all star and a travel team and not used to losing and the coach was all over our team for doing it.

If the coach did not like that, he is really gonna love it when a 3rd base coach starts calling out pitches because he has picked up on a tendency of the pitcher. Don't see it much in TB, but it happens in college.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
If the coach did not like that, he is really gonna love it when a 3rd base coach starts calling out pitches because he has picked up on a tendency of the pitcher. Don't see it much in TB, but it happens in college.

Oh, I see you watch Clint Myers' games. :)

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I am all for the girls stealing signs and calling locations if they think it will help them however both the Head Coach and Assistant on my Daughters team played in College and said they hated it . They would have rather just seen the ball and hit it since the call from second wasn't always reliable .

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This goes around all the time...all you have to do is change the locations a few times, and then the batter loses confidence in the runner/coach.

One team stole my signs when I was coaching 3B, and I switched signs, gave the batter a bunt, wiped it off, and gave a mandatory swing sign. Guess what? They stopped. It took all of 30 seconds to fix the problem.

Happened to my DD's team this year...the coach on the other team was stealing signs, so my DD just went to a different set of signs.

Stealing signs works great against bad teams...and is a waste of time against good teams.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Geez.. wristbands and a nice still NECC trained catcher and this isn't going to be an issue.