Runner at 3B and batter walks...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Something to consider: in 2014 NCAA softball the run expectancy differential between 1st n 3rd no outs and just 3rd with 1 out is greater than a full run (see image). So assuming you can hold the runner at 3rd and you make the out at 2nd, you are saving a run. That said, the run expectancy differential between 1st n 3rd and 2nd n 3rd, both with no outs, is only 0.3 runs greater. So to let her run to 2nd uncontested is only likely to cost you 0.3 runs. I don't have the math right now to give a number, but you'd need a decent probability of holding the runner at 3rd to make taking the chance on a throw down pay off.

run expectancy.png

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Great replies folks...

My team does what something similar to what Inde describes...a couple of flavors of it to try and disguise it a bit...direct throws to 2B or sometimes just straight back to the pitcher...on offense, we vary whether we direct steal based on the speed of the runner at 3B, # of outs and score. My 1B is awesome and does a nice job of keeping the other teams off balance.

Now Amy - you mention throwing to 1B...would you elaborate?

TIA

CP

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Second baseman cheats to 20ft from 1st just behind baseline, catcher holds ball. If runner breaks to 2nd, catcher rifles shot in path of runner who must either break stride or take one for team. If they break stride second baseman catches ball and either applies tag or throws home. If runner elects to wear it, then kudos to her. None have chosen that option yet.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We do a few things... the P/2nd tag/home is our second play on this because we do this play first if we don't play the opposition team often...

March 2014 – Tip of the Month | The New England Catching Camp

[video]http://m.mlb.com/video/v27565951/?query=rosario%2Bfake[/video]

We have got SO many outs on this play it is ridiculous. As NECC says - the secret is to not transfer the ball to your throwing hand, and you have to sell the fake throw.

Nov 8, 2014
Look back rule says when theball is in the circle with P, the runners must make an immediate decision to advance or to retreat. I know of no exception that says if a runner is moving from the first to second, the runner at third can delay a decision.

P holds ball at the side, makes late throw to 2B who is cheating in the base path and then tags and fires home if runner at third advances. On offense, Im not getting fancy with this play and trying to force a throw a to second and squeak someone home from third. Obviously,we have less than two outs. Im keeping my runners at 1B and 3B and then I'm bunting the very next batter. There's your out, and there is my run and now I also have a runner at 2.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Look back rule says when theball is in the circle with P, the runners must make an immediate decision to advance or to retreat. I know of no exception that says if a runner is moving from the first to second, the runner at third can delay a decision.

They were just making the distinction that the runner on 3rd does not need to make their decision until the batter-runner touches 1st.

Jul 6, 2014
Ohio
My DD is a 16U catcher. One of her favorite things to do is to throw out a runner stealing to second base when third base is occupied. A lot of base runners think that it is a "gimme" base and sometimes jog to second. She will look back the third base runner (they sometimes don't take much of a lead since they don't thing the throw to 2nd will happen) and she will throw down to 2nd. You have to have a catcher with a great arm and it has to be practiced. Her team also practices a play where the catcher throws a quick snap back to the pitcher who will immediately turn and gun to second. The key is to catch them by surprise so that the runner on third doesn't go. Number of outs and score of course play a big part as well.

Based on all the defensive reasons you give, if the runner is going to go in this situation why should she do anything but jog to second? Avoids running blindly into the out and gives the option for a run down... And if a team is simply not going to make the play at second you're safe (with swag) anyway..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi