Rotational or Linear Swing ????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As with 99.9% of all hitters she appears to be a hybrid with both linear and rotational attributes. That said I see more rotational than linear in her swing.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I don't use those terms much with a swing anymore. That said, I do like to describe the swing as linear. Not in same way the 80's and 90's instructors did though. I tell girls the rear leg slings the coiled rear hip in almost a straight line out through the ball. The resisting back and hands turning the barrel gets the barrel launched from behind the rear leg/hip sling shot it out from behind in nearly a straight line.
I told a girl Weds night that had a circular hand path, "the only reason your hands and barrel should come around your body, from the right half of your body to the left half and behind, is because after your hands/barrel have been slingshot into extention, the only thing that can happen is; 1. You could let go and let the bat fly up the middle or 2. Hold on and enertia brings it around.

Watch the girl you posted. She could use some resistance, but still a solid hitter. Watch and see how her rear hip, hands, barrel come from behind out toward the pitcher...to me that is what linear means.

May 3, 2014
Different perspective and I am not trying cause a big blowout argument over who is right and what will work better.

I agree with RHC that rotational/linear are meaningless terms since there are both actions in a swing.

Look at the swing from the waist down.

If you were to place an imaginary wall behind her butt - she comes off that wall very early. Most hitters that are not professional do this.

Aug 3, 2013
Butter - could you or someone else make a gif of her and someone with a HLS with thier butt not coming off the imaginary wall?

Sep 17, 2009
Forget the swing (which is nice, btw)...Rutgers is in the Big Ten?

As a former Flying Illini era alum (I won't give the year, but if you get the reference you can guess), I remember when Big 10 meant 10 teams and the Big East had schools from, you know, the actual *east* in it....

God I sound old : )

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Forget the swing (which is nice, btw)...Rutgers is in the Big Ten?

As a former Flying Illini era alum (I won't give the year, but if you get the reference you can guess), I remember when Big 10 meant 10 teams and the Big East had schools from, you know, the actual *east* in it....

God I sound old : )
Yup, hopefully for the young lady they are more competitive at softball than men's basketball.

May 3, 2014
Butter - could you or someone else make a gif of her and someone with a HLS with thier butt not coming off the imaginary wall?

GO5HER.gif

qsgixD.gif

qzDFZk.gif

Apr 8, 2010
No wonder Ortiz is a dead pull hitter. Look at the bucketfoot on that swing ^^^.

Guys

Thanks for the input. So from what I am reading the swing is a combination of both. I don't understand the wall concept?
The back side is not supposed to break the plane at all? Meaning if that happens you are losing power from incorrect weight shift ?

Is that what you mean ?

Thanks
JWP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red