Roller Duffel Equipment Bags or Backpack Bat and Equipment Bag?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Every competitive and high school team I have seen uses the roller equipment bags but I have an asst. coach that wants to buy the bat/equipment backpacks for our 12u girls. I think they will become a headache because they will not store helmets or catcher's equipment.

Can someone give me some advice here?

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Our 8u team got some really big back packs from Diamond. They have 4 pouches for bats and a ton of pockets. There is a pocket on bottom for cleats. I don't know if catcher's equipment will fit, but DD gets her helmet, mask, glove and a bunch of other stuff in the main pocket. I can't remember what they cost they have been super durable.

Aug 19, 2011
My kids prefer the roller bags. However, those who travel on airplanes prefer the backpacks.

This summer we were told that my dd could not take a bat as carry-on luggage. If that's generally true and you're checking a bat bag anyway, I'd think the roller bag would be better protection.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Teams around here, are getting away from the back packs. The bats are exposed and are easily damaged and stolen. There is no need to advertise what bats are in the bag.

I agree that bats have to be inside a bat bag, for the airlines.

Feb 1, 2010
Midwest
Haven't seen much of the the backpacks anymore except for maybe some of the really young age groups. The roller bags are the way to go now, I just wish some company would increase the wheel size on them. If your players aren't paying much attention to the angle while they're pulling them around, the bags will still wear out along the bottom or a wheel will eventually get damaged or fall off.

If looking for a bag for catcher's equipment and you're in hockey country, I'd get a hockey bag. They'll give you a little more room and seem to be better quality as far as durability and quality. I had a Reebok hockey bag with wheels for my DD for three years of rain, mud and snow, before buying a new Easton catchers bag this spring. The Easton bag already has problems with holes that have worn through and zippers that have already broke. Some of our girls got the bigger Boombah bags with wheels this year and they seems like they performed well so far...

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Always had the roller bags untill 2 years ago when DD's coach decided to get the back pack style. Girls really like not having to drag them up and down stairs. Never thought about flying though. I prefer to drive.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use and recommend a Maxx Bag. I got it when my senior league team was flying. The wheels are big and they even sent a spare set. I have never needed them and I drag my bag around, every day. I really like the colors that they offer and the different sizes, too.

Some dad told me that he put Gorilla Tape on the bottom of his DD's and it is just like new. I had never heard of that tape, though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1