Rise Grips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
Hey,
I am working on my rise ball and found a pretty good grip but I find it uncomfortable and I really think I could throw a better rise if I knew a better grip.
My grip is having 2 fingers on the horseshoe and one of the fingers up and I put a lot of pressure on the 2 fingers. I would like to know some other grips to try them out and see how they work.

20gcevb.jpg

This is a general version of what I do..
Also I got taught that I should throw at least one change up per batter. I play in a high level of ball so it is good to use on most of the batters but some of the batters at the bottom of the order there is almost no use for it and it seems if I threw it I'd be giving them a chance but I don't wanna keep throwing straight fast balls in there.
Thanks for reading and I hope you can help!:cool:

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
I'll try that grip screwball and check out that link skinner, thanks on the input on the change up to!

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
There's nothing in softball like the fascination with what grip will result in an effective rise/drop/whatever. Sorry, but the grip is much less important than 3 other factors: 1. The position of the wrist -- it should be inside the ball at release. 2. The use of the fingers to spin the ball (see Hillhouse). 3. The combination of the thumb rolling back on the top of the ball while the fingers "slice" forward (I instruct pitchers to visualize turning the doorknob). And the pitcher needn't get too wrapped up trying to get the perfect 6-to-12 spin, because the ball will rise effectively as long as it is turning so it has some dig into the air -- a ball spinning 8-to-2 will climb. What weakens a rise is when the ball has more of a bullet spin than a backing up spin.
I tell pitchers to forget about the magic grip and work on the spin.
jim

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
thanks Jim, I do know its not the grip that makes the ball move. But different grips are more comfortable for other people and that can be the reason why they throw a better pitch.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
deGroot:
1. Hillhouse's video on the rise has an interesting "spin" on the grip (sorry...). He likes to tuck the index finger so the tip/nail are dug into the ball. Then he says to extend that finger during the release to push on the ball to contribute more to the spin -- says the fingers should end up looking like you're making a gun.
2. Hillhouse also emphasizes that the thumb should be aggressively pulling back on a seam while the fingers are driving forward on a seam on the opposite side of the ball.
3. The town of Winona MN produced a herd of great riseballers, who all used a grip which had the index finger curled onto its side like your grip in the picture. So you're in good company with what you're doing.
4. I wish I had known about the SpinRite Spinner, which I consider the best training tool a pitcher can use to develop hard spins for great rises. Get one. You'll find it invaluable, and you'll find the best grip using it.
jim

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I think you have your instructors confused on this one. If that definition is on a video, I know who's book they learned it from. BTW, it's supposed to end in an upside down gun. That is the bent fingered rise the way I taught it to everyone.

There is something else you left out that turns it into a nasty up and in. Drop the throwing shoulder at release.

My book first came out in 1999 and I have posted that piece of advice on here and other sites before. Along with a picture of the grip.

When it comes to plaguerizm; it is alive and well in fastpitch softball.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal:
The only video I have on the rise is Bill H's. So without digging it out, I'm pretty sure he's the "perp" who is propagating your technique.
jim

The bent fingered rise has been around since before I was born. But, they just layed it over to the side. Digging it in hard and 'Flicking' the seam, that was my add on. That was why I could even seperate the skin just under the nail and draw blood after 2 or 3 games in a day. it would actually go a little numb and I would have to switch to a different rise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877