Rise-curve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
For me, a rise-curve is a riseball (backward spin) thrown such that the axis tilted such that the pitch drifts out (RHB). Given the rotation of the ball and its drifting out, how does this tend to come off the bat relative to a fastball or drop ball? Seems to me that hitters struggle with this pitch fouling it up and back a lot.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Any time a pitch can move on two different planes, the better...
Im a huge fan of a rising curve or screw! Much harder to find the sweet spot on one of these pitches!
Dont forget about a cutting drop ball either.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
My 13 yo DD is just now starting to learn to throw a rise. Most of the time it does have a spin that will move it up and out from a RHB. This is by accident of course. We have not thrown it in a game, but I would assume that spin is going to get you lots of foul balls on the 1st base side of the field. I know with a similar down and out spin my DD gets lots of fouls to that side.

Doug...gotta love the Bumble pic!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Well, the reason I really like the rise-curve is (1) it's two of my pitchers' best pitch, and (2) given I think hitters tend to swing too low relative to the ball much more than they swing too high. This pitch seems to compound that problem for hitters.

Dec 7, 2011
This is exactly the deadly riseball that DD has - I haven't seen another yet (even though I know they gotta be out there).

I will boldly state again that the rise part of her riseball is fairly continuous over the pitch path BUT the curve part (away from the RHB) is a very late breaking aspect up and away.

It is a beautiful thing to behold. I have told this story before but back when she was 15 years old she threw a semi-final bracket game of ALL K's (every batter K'd every time). Never seen a performance like that in my life. But catching her vs many many other riseballers I have caught and I know why. (if only DD's accuracy consistency was as good as that pitch......)

Oct 22, 2009
This is exactly the deadly riseball that DD has - I haven't seen another yet (even though I know they gotta be out there).

I will boldly state again that the rise part of her riseball is fairly continuous over the pitch path BUT the curve part (away from the RHB) is a very late breaking aspect up and away.

It is a beautiful thing to behold. I have told this story before but back when she was 15 years old she threw a semi-final bracket game of ALL K's (every batter K'd every time). Never seen a performance like that in my life. But catching her vs many many other riseballers I have caught and I know why. (if only DD's accuracy consistency was as good as that pitch......)

Was it windy that day? My DD had a game like this at a college showcase, pretty stiff wind and and I just twirled my hand at the catcher and indicated, it's just riseballs for the rest of the game.;)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Was it windy that day? My DD had a game like this at a college showcase, pretty stiff wind and and I just twirled my hand at the catcher and indicated, it's just riseballs for the rest of the game.;)

One of the dumbest things a coach can do is find some that is really working well and changing for the sake of changing.

Rules for great riseball pitchers:

1) If the rise is really on throw the damn thing until they start hitting it.

2) If the rise is really on they ain't gonna hit it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez