Renegade coach and My organization

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
There is a trophy hunting coach in our organization who coached a 1st year 12u and a 2nd year 12u team at the same time...in 2014 he stayed with the younger 12u team for their 2nd year which will move up to 14u in 2015. He doesn't have daughters on either team.

Last year he walked away from his 2nd year 12u team, turned his back on them and didn't even tell them he wasn't going to coach the team after having them for three years (10u-12u-12u). The girls were hurt and very disappointed. I've known these kids for the whole time and I came in and added 5 of them to my 1st year 14u roster (I lost two kids to age and cut three parent situations). It took a lot of recruiting to keep these kids together!

All year I've struggled coaching these awesome kids through the nonsense this coach put in them, they are terrified of making mistakes, they are afraid of being yelled at, and they have absolutely no initiative because this coach controlled their every move. This jerk also brought a guest pitcher in for the state tournament while his kids sat the bench.

Now that his 2nd year 12u team is moving up, he is starting to schmooze my kids and parents spinning what happened in his favor. He got them WCWS tickets, he is talking to their HS coaches for them and I believe he is asking them to join back with him. I am so ticked I can hardly see straight. I've given these kids and my organization an unbelievable amount of my time and energy and resources.

I am torn, if my organization allows him to come in an do this, I will find another organization and I want to make sure everyone knows what this horses butt is doing.

If this were your team and organization, how would you respond?

You all have deep wisdom and experience I can't believe the situation has me tossing and turning...

Jun 7, 2013
I understand how frustrating and painful these situations can be. I was in a bad situation with my local organization last year and I ended up quitting, which resulted in my moniker, "RetiredCoach". Right now you are in a political battle with a sub-standard coach who, obviously, has "good" political skills. And you don't want to bring a knife to a gunfight.

First, you have to be clear on what you want out of the situation. If you definitely want to stay on and coach instead of moving on to greener pastures, you are going to have to play the game. I would talk first with the parents of the girls on your team and see where they are at. If you have enough support I would then go and discuss the situation with the organization. If you have the support of the parents and the organization, you should be fine. If not, you may need to move somewhere else.

I wish you luck with this very hard situation. Please keep us apprised on how it goes for you and the girls.

Apr 25, 2010
If your players/parents are happy, they won't go anywhere. We had a former parent try to cause problems when they were on their way out. We were told about it immediately. It opened up a spot for a stud player who has awesome parents and now the team is firing on all cylinders.

If any of your players leave for this guy, it tells you more about them. Sometimes things have to fall apart to make room for something much better. And if the parents are telling you about this guy's shenanigans, that is a good sign that you have good families. I would probably bring up to the whole team that you are aware of what is going on and that you appreciate all the support from them. I would hope if someone had something to say, that would be the time.

Basically, what I am saying is, people who do these things behind other's backs are simply cowards who will eventually get a Karmic visit.

Jan 24, 2011
I really wouldn't worry about this too much. Nothing you can really do. The families will decide on their own which path to take. To each their own

Feb 3, 2011
"Hi, Coach, may I talk to you for a second? Are you recruiting my players? I'd appreciate you not doing so until the end of our current season."

His actions may be unethical, but there's no prohibition against it. Adults can talk to whomever they want and players can change teams pretty much whenever they want. If it does come down to a recruiting war, just tell them that you may not be able to get them WCWS tickets, but at least you won't ever quit on them.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Agree with all that's been said here. I have a question too.

Do the parents notice that their kids are playing better, with less fear, under you? Do they feel like they're getting better? That can go a long way toward keeping them.

One of my most loyal families became that way after leaving for a year to play on a summer team started by their HS coach. It was in their best interest at the time to do so, and I understood the decision. After that summer I needed a couple of players to go to Northern Nationals because I was short, so this girl was one I contacted. The family dropped everything to participate.

At her first practice with us her mother commented that the girl received more coaching in those two hours than she'd gotten all summer. She saw the difference and rejoined my team for the next year, despite the HS coach having a team the next year too.

In your case the situation is reversed - getting better coaching now than before. Hopefully, though, they remember what it was like under the other coach and will want to stay where their daughters are appreciated and taught how to really play the game. Good luck.

If your players/parents are happy, they won't go anywhere.

I really wouldn't worry about this too much. Nothing you can really do. The families will decide on their own which path to take. To each their own
I kind of tend to agree with the above posters. Within one's own org, it is tough to call out another coach as "not being the right type of coach for your girl." I know I wouldn't want to be a part of an org where coaches supposedly on the same team are talking crap about each other. You have to rise above it.

I actually cut a girl from a fairly recent team who is a very good player because her parents talked bad about another coach in our org who is at a different age level. They had another daughter who played for him and they obviously didn't like something that went on during their experience. I let her go for the good of the org, however, even though I knew she would have improved my team.

Perhaps a conversation about unity within the org can be something you can reach out to the other coach with? I would think org brass would be good with this, as well.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Your team will stay with you if you have communicated clearly, been honest, and delivered on what you said you will. Otherwise, you will lose them anyway. There is no need to bad mouth the other coach or remind the parents of his past bad behavior. The ones worth keeping will remember and stick with you, and the ones that aren't worth keeping will jump ship because of false promises and political shenanigans.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I suppose I have faith in these kids and families, but I don't trust this coach one single bit. Whoever said it above, he is a master at spin and politics and I wouldn't put anything past him.

I've kept every promise that I made to my parents in pre season. I filled the team with same age kids, I recruited a former D-1 softball player to help me coach, I improved myself as a coach by attending two camps, a clinic and I am coaching HS softball with the varsity coach. I am less frustrated and more calm in the dugout and coach's box as a result.

I spoke to our league administrator and he was pretty frustrated at even the hint that this guy would recruit kids in the same org. I told him I was glad he answered like he did otherwise I would be looking for a new org. He was thankful and very touched that I would trust him and tell him instead of going out on my own. It tells me he values what I am doing with my kids.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves