Red Flags from Prospective Pitcher's Parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I'll field that one. Most times that a player wants to play one last tournament with a team according to the parents is simply because the parents have now thought they have leverage (some other team to go to) and can extort more pitching, catching, fielding time or move them up in the batting order to satisfy the parent`s ego. The last time that happened to us, we told them, "go and good luck!" She's been trying to get back on the team ever since. The grass is usually greener on the other side of the fence because its usually fed with Bullsh1t.

This is exactly right.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
We've recently had a player from another organization/team texting and asking to come and try out for us. She's an outstanding player and I would love to get my hands on her. The response to the parents texts, "Bring copies of signed releases for all rosters and we'll try her out." They're still texting about tryouts but I haven't seen signed releases. Hmmm.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Unless I really know them, they have to do some workouts and at least 1 tournament as a guest before we talk about a full time spot. I think try before you buy is best for all concerned.

Yep! You test drive them and they test drive you. You want to see the team/coaches in both practice and game situations.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We've recently had a player from another organization/team texting and asking to come and try out for us. She's an outstanding player and I would love to get my hands on her. The response to the parents texts, "Bring copies of signed releases for all rosters and we'll try her out." They're still texting about tryouts but I haven't seen signed releases. Hmmm.

If you were looking for a new job would you give notice/quit before you started interviewing for the new position? How is this any different? I do not approach players that are already on a team. But if they come to me I will take a look and if it appears to be a fit we move forward in the process. How they manage their relationship with the other team is not and should not be my concern.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota

Well I guess they can tryout at the regular tryout time with everyone else then. I am just naturally wary of the player who wants to jump teams in the middle of the season. There have been a couple of times when my DDs have felt like the teams they were on were not the right fit after a few tournaments. In those cases they played the season out with their current team and then went somewhere else. I know there can be cases of legitimate harmful environments on teams but from my experience when a girl wants to jump ship it is usually about playing time or the parents want to get her on a "better" team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi