Recuiting DD for Fall TB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
California
This board is so awesome, a bunch of total strangers, helping each others DDs, with what's best for the kids. What a great bunch of people here.
I've been an advid lurker on this board since I found it this past spring. Warning: post contains some proud daddy ranting.:cool:

DD just completed 1st season in 8U travel ball. Aging up to 10U in fall. Now 2 coaches recuiting her for fall TB. Have an idea what we leaning towards doing but would like your opinions. Options: Team 1, Team 2 or let DD be a 9yr Old girl rest till spring (softball wise).

DD has play 2 seasons of rec ball both in 8U coach pitch. After rec season she got cut from the 8U B TB team, TB coach was her rec ball coach, but was picked up for the 8U C team. Great parental drama free season, didn't win a lot of games but girls played hard till the last out regardless of score. All the kids and parents got along. Some daddy ball going on but not too bad. My opinion the coaches volunteering so much time for our team, some daddy ball is justifible so long as it is not too bad. Coaches's DDs did sit some innings, just always played infield. I didn't care where DD played as long as she played.

Team 1 (HC is DD rec ball coach past 2 rec seasons)
Extremely organized, DD played 2 season rec ball with this HC so knows him and likes him and his ACs. Practices are run well, very little wasted time, games are run well all the girls know what they are suppose to do at all times. Not a great teacher, HC1 depends on his 2 AC to do most of the teaching while he's more of a manager type. ACs are not at every practice. HC1 doesn't take suggestions well, as he's feels his 12 years rec & travel ball experience has allowed him to see it all. Listens well, but doesn't necessary change. But DW and I get along well with him, he knows there will be no drama from us as we'll be in the outfield or stands with a mouth full of sunflower seeds. The only thing we will say during a game is 'great play & come one xxxx you can do it'. Besides, he had a chance to have DD in the summer and cut her so a little part of me wants to say no just for that. lol

Team 2 (Summer TB team)
HC2 & ACs less organized about things but really good teacher. Not as well organized as HC1, but very approachable and communicates well with parents. DD is weak defensively but a good bat. HC2 worked on DD all summer and went from hiding her at catcher to throwing out runners at 1st base when they stray off too far. DD also worked her way up the batting order from last in the 1st tournment to leading off or batting 3rd most of the summer. HC2 knows DD is very coachable with no drama parents attached so recuiting her heavily. 2 girls from the summer team 1, is moving over to team 2 for the fall. They are the types of parents that think their girls are good enough to play major D1 at 9yrs old. They caused some drama with HC1 during the summer, upset about playing time and playing position so jumped to Team 2 for fall. They are also buddy buddy with HC2. I spoke to HC2 1on1 and expressed my concerns about potential drama in the fall. Especially with HC2 and these parents being good friends. He assured me he can take care of them and that there will be no drama. I believe HC2 will do his best but not sure how much effect he will have when push comes to shove.

Now I have no delusions about my DD becoming the next Keilani Ricketts or anything. I just want DD to continue to learn and get better. Practice time to me is just as important as games. I don't care what position coaches want DD to play during game, but I do care that she gets practice time at positions so she can learn it. More importantly DD doesn't care what position she plays, she's just a little girl that likes softball & I'm just softball noob enjoying the game and quality time with DD.

Pretty nice having coaches wanting DD. What would you do?

Feb 19, 2012
West US
I would go with team 2.

He (HC Team 1) cut your DD already, instead of working with her and developing her-at 8!! why give him another chance?

HC 2 worked and developed her, and wants to keep her. Forget about the parent drama, at least you know who to avoid.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Sign her up for baseball. After seeing girls come out of LL I wished I had put DD there. She will learn the game better and be better skill wise.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
At the early ages which I consider 8-12 YO, the focus should be on player development more so than team development IMO. When they age up to 14u it becomes more focused on team development as well as the players. Beyond that age it becomes mostly about team development especially in TB. So at that age I would put my DD with the coach that is better able to advance her skill set. Thus I would agree with the other posters and vote team #2.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This board is so awesome, a bunch of total strangers, helping each others DDs, with what's best for the kids. What a great bunch of people here.

Thanks! DFP has gotten three complements in the last week...so the score is
Complaints 764,321
Compliments 3

Besides, he had a chance to have DD in the summer and cut her so a little part of me wants to say no just for that.

You need to carefully consider why your DD got cut. If you think your DD wasn't given a fair shake, then move on.

HC2 & ACs less organized about things but really good teacher.

How "less organized"? If it is too much, it will be a disaster.

HC2 worked on DD all summer...What would you do?

One guy cuts your DD, and the other guy works with your DD and makes her a better player.

Is this that hard to figure out? HC2

There would have to be something else for me to go with HC1 over HC2

Jul 6, 2013
You need to carefully consider why your DD got cut.

I don't really have a whole lot of an opinion on the subject, but just wanted to say with regards to this....yes, yes, YES!!!

After receiving a few return emails today from upset parents after their receiving my, for lack of a better term, rejection letters, I can't stress this enough. Coaches are typically not going to cut a drama free girl who is a better athlete and player than another who is weaker. Trust me that as coaches we do not have some type of underlying motive to try to weaken our teams. If she got cut, there is a strong chance that she simply didn't measure up to not only the other girls on the team, but the competition they would face. Now, in saying this, I know you haven't at all hinted to these reasons. Just call this my semi-unrelated rant for the day.

While 8U, 10U, and even 12U to an extent are primarily player development ages, there are but so many spots on a team to fill to ensure that the girls get quality reps in both practices and games. In our area, rec ball is intended specifically for girls who may otherwise not make the stronger teams in travel ball. It is both accepted and understood by the parents forking out a couple thousand a year on TB that as a coach you will put together the strongest team you possibly can, while making no false claims or promises to ANY of the girls or parents who attend tryouts or who make the team. Ok. Rant off...

So I lied...I do have an opinion. One guy teaches your daughter very well. The other, not so much. He is also the one who gave your daughter a shot in the first place. Team 2...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD just completed 1st season in 8U travel ball. Aging up to 10U in fall.

10U softball needs to be about having fun while getting better. I would not be in a hurry to jump to the best team, I would concentrate on finding a coach that will nurture your DD and her love of the game. Parents also need to understand that no matter what team their DD plays for, the importance of the parents working with their DD's outside of regular practice cannot be underestimated. HC are usually one of the players parents, not a professional batting instructor, pitching coach or fielding expert. Get your DD into hitting lessons and work with her outside of regular practices. It will make her a much better player and will provide a great bonding experience!

Jun 24, 2013
I would take a less skilled drama free girl over a primadonna any day. I can develop skills. I find it really hard to change attitudes.
Go with the coach who develops the players.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
More importantly DD doesn't care what position she plays, she's just a little girl that likes softball.

Caldad - Welcome to the forum.

Food for thought - You wrote a 750-word post, and I had to read it twice before I found what I was looking for - What does your daughter think? This is the only sentence that addresses that. IMO, just make sure that you stay in touch with her feelings.

10U softball needs to be about having fun while getting better. I would not be in a hurry to jump to the best team, I would concentrate on finding a coach that will nurture your DD and her love of the game. Parents also need to understand that no matter what team their DD plays for, the importance of the parents working with their DD's outside of regular practice cannot be underestimated. HC are usually one of the players parents, not a professional batting instructor, pitching coach or fielding expert. Get your DD into hitting lessons and work with her outside of regular practices. It will make her a much better player and will provide a great bonding experience!

Excellent advice. The best way to make a player good in five years is to ensure that she's still playing in five years. Sometimes the ''best'' teams sabotage that. Those who go slowly and enjoy the ride are often the best players in the end. And more importantly, they have more fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan