Ready to let my catchers call pitches - 14UB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
We're about halfway through our tourney season and been doing pretty well. In the past I've been reluctant to have them call because they don't like calling drops and change-ups because they are harder to block. But lately the catchers have been blocking better and pretty much noone is trying to steal on them. So I'm going to let them call pitches. Each of my 3 pitchers has at least 4 working pitches but of course they're never all working on the same day.

Any thoughts/ideas on what to tell my catchers at practice this week?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
It's really more than just "calling" the pitches. I would start teaching them why or why not call certain pitches or locations depending upon the situation.

RJY

Mar 13, 2010
I would tell them at practice that you've decided NOT to do this and you'll still need to call pitches. Calling pitches has a LOT to do with reading what the batters are doing and have done on previous trips to the plate. Truthfully....how many 14U's are able to read these tendencies AND focus on the rest of their game? Now, you may have the next 2 D1 prospects that have mastered this and if you do, ignore this post.

May 17, 2012
I would tell them at practice that you've decided NOT to do this and you'll still need to call pitches. Calling pitches has a LOT to do with reading what the batters are doing and have done on previous trips to the plate.

Pffffft. Let it go. This is more of a control issue for the coach than anything else.

You are inferring that calling pitches is a science or a skill and that would imply some coaches are better than others. At worst you are unable to articulate the game to catchers which is doing them a disservice.

Catchers have the best view in the park, let them call the game. Pitchers should have the final say after the catcher gives the sign.

If we do it your way they should attach the ERA to the coaches.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We're about halfway through our tourney season and been doing pretty well. In the past I've been reluctant to have them call because they don't like calling drops and change-ups because they are harder to block. But lately the catchers have been blocking better and pretty much noone is trying to steal on them. So I'm going to let them call pitches. Each of my 3 pitchers has at least 4 working pitches but of course they're never all working on the same day.

Any thoughts/ideas on what to tell my catchers at practice this week?

Excellent, if you've been talking to them about pitch calling and strategies along the way. If you haven't, that's still good as an abrupt transition is better than no transition at all - just remember that you will have to be patient.

For those who are reluctant to relinquish control, ask yourself this, could you do a better job calling from behind the plate than from the bench? IMO, a coach should teach their catcher's what they know and turn over the reins to the ones who show an interest and an aptitude. Your pitchers will become significantly more effective.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
You are inferring that calling pitches is a science or a skill and that would imply some coaches are better than others. At worst you are unable to articulate the game to catchers which is doing them a disservice.

Catchers have the best view in the park, let them call the game. Pitchers should have the final say after the catcher gives the sign.

I'll do more than infer/imply, I state it clear as day, some coaches are far superior to calling pitches than others. Some coaches are very good at it, some down right bad and many are OK.

Some catchers are very good at calling pitches and some are down right bad.

I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer as to who calls pitches. Do what works.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If you're close enough to the catcher to give her signs, you are close enough to teach her how you want her to call the game. If a batter can't catch up to a FB, let your catcher know "don't speed up her bat" (DON'T call a CU!). 0-2 count, make sure she knows to call for something off the plate. Batter dropping her hands on every swing, make sure she calls for the ball up in the zone. If you think the batter is listening in, tell her to make sure to "remember to call for a CU" every once in a while (and have her call FB). It takes a few extra seconds, and it teaches them the game. And it's more fun to see the smile on the pitcher's and catcher's faces when they come in after setting a team down in order.

RJY

Mar 13, 2010
PFFFFT back at you... We can agree to disagree but lets not go disrespectful.

It is a skill AND a science..... If it ISN'T a skill then what is it? Luck? It's a science from the fact you have to study hitting styles and have an understanding what type of pitches are hard for certain styles to handle. Even then, there's more to it than that.

This isn't a control thing, it's a being successful thing. This is 14U ball, not 16/18 or college so the ERA means NOTHING. Good coaches will articulate why pitches are called a certain way to their "developing" players WHILE they play the game. They WON'T learn it any other way.

You'll be hard pressed to show me 10 14U catchers that have the skills and complete knowledge to call a game. As a matter of fact, I watched a middle school game last year (14U essentially) where the coach NOR the catcher had the first clue about calling a game yet he was letting the catcher do it. She called an inside fastball that was launched 210 ft. foul. The catcher followed with same exact call the very next pitch and the girl launched it 200 ft over the fence. The team that let the catcher call the game lost by that one run. I was standing behind the plate and saw the catcher move to the inside position on the pitch and before the ball was delivered I told my friend....oh boy...watch this.

Pffffft. Let it go. This is more of a control issue for the coach than anything else.

May 17, 2012
No disrespect intended, nothing wrong with a healthy debate.

Do the differences in pitch-calling among coaches vary from what we'd expect solely from chance?

Do good coaches stay good at it while the bad ones stay bad?

If neither of these conditions exist, then it's likely that any differences in coach pitch-calling are the result of random chance.

You do realize that there are a lot of teams that have their catchers call the games. When you lose to those teams do you think to yourself you got out "called" by a 14 year old girl?

They have proven statistically that there is no difference between MLB catchers and their ability to call games. It is not a measurable skill at the MLB level. MLB managers don't even call pitches, they have very little impact on the game itself.

I would love to see a tournament where the coaches had to watch from the parking lot. I have no doubt that the girls could sort it out themselves and the outcome would be no different.

Either that or I am going to rent a monkey to come out and hold up signs for pitch type and location. I wonder what that losing coach would think of his pitch calling skill.

Respectfully,

Gunner

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321