Quitting School Ball For Full Time Travel (In Middle School)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2010
No MS here, but DD would most likely play if available. Concern I would have is for the mixing of some of the less experienced players with experienced TB players. Overhand throws of 60+ and pitching of 55+ by some MS TB players could prove interesting if casual player is on the receiving end.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
When I hear some complain about school ball, my first reply is "what did you do to make it better"? You ran off to play TB 2 hours away instead of developing girls right in your neighborhood, then you complain about the lack of talent in school? The BEST powerhouse schools have feeder travel/AAU type teams that start at the early ages, really large for football and basketball, but it works for softball and baseball too.

Like I said, a successful HS program begins years BEFORE you get there.

Mar 29, 2012
This past fall after out travel season ended I put together a fallball team. I got 4 of our travel players and 1 travel player from another team (including my daughter and another girl from our small town) and then filled out the rest of the team with girls from our local rec program who showed some of the most potential.

We worked to try and improve the girls fundamentals of fielding, throwing, and hitting.

By the end of the short fall season I saw improvement from several of the rec girls, most of all they had a ton of fun. They went from being on a bad rec team that did not get past the first round of the rec league tournament to winning the fall league.

I have no problem letting my DD play with the local girls, I just don't want her staying in rec instead of getting the training and competition in travel. I believe the girls who got better over the fall did so because the travel girls were there setting and example and pushing the pace.

If there was a middle school team she would 100% play on it and she is looking forward to playing in high school one day.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Something about playing for your school develops relationships that are stronger then the ones forged on a TB team. My son played V soccer as a HS freshman and is entering his senior year of college. He still keeps in touch with people from that team, kids who were seniors and juniors. He doesn't know anyone from his travel teams.

My dd has friends from her HS team that she might not have even made otherwise. Girls who were older and who ran in different crowds. But they still text and tweet 2 years later. Once you wear the Black and Orange, you wear it for life.

Don't lose track of the fact that its not all about the game.

Jul 14, 2010
Stick it out and try to improve the situation. There's something to be said for playing for and representing your school and community and playing with your friends and schoolmates.

Prime example - HS baseball team is full of stud TB players that have under achieved because they don't know how to play as a TEAM. They are too worried about themselves and what the HS Coach and Team is doing to get them or their kid recruited instead of what they can do to help the TEAM accomplish their goals. Just got thumped in the State playoffs by a "program" where the players and parents play for the name on front - "their school"

You know the whole TEAM me concept. Old school I guess.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
I am trying not to sound preachy. So you feel the girls are not getting A caliber training so you want them to quit so they can get better training. I think that is a real bad way to handle it. First off you all made a commitment to the school team, so honor it. I assume the teams will fold if you girls leave? In my book that would not be great teammanship (ok I made up a word). My dd plays TB (b level) and plays on her HS team they are not a travel ball caliber team. She is having a blast there is no TB insanity to deal with, it is more of a social experience and I am glad she is loving it. Let your girls just play for fun for a few weeks out of the year. How would you feel if 4 girls on your TB team told you we can get elite training from this other team so we are leaving your team. I wonder what you would post then. I would approach the coach and offer to help or point him/her to good technique and drills. Send him/her here. I teach my kids if you commit you see it out as long as things are safe and non abusive. I will getoff the soap box now.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
There is far more pressure than a parent could appreciate when the player is playing for their school and peers. DD had told me that time & time again representing her MS & HS in both field hockey & soccer. She was never so nervous than when she stepped onto the field hockey pitch as a sophomore in the semi-finals of the County Tournament game (she told me she almost wet her squirt!).

Unless the DD is playing in a state final or big national game, there just isn't the same self-imposed pressure; and many of our DD's won't hav that opportunity in club softball, for a variety of reasons.

May 17, 2012
The original intent of the OP is how bad does it have to get before you would take your DD off a school team.

I am not talking about playing for a bad team, that happens if you play enough softball.

I am talking about a situation that is so bad that the girls aren't having fun, they are regressing in their skills, and there isn't any support from the middle school or HS coaches.

It's easy to sit back and say, "stick it out", "sacrifice for the team", but at what point is it to much when the commitment doesn't go both ways?

What do you say to your #1 pitcher when she has 7 strike outs in an inning because the catcher can't catch the ball? What do you say to your SS that has lost every MS game by an average of 20 runs for 1.5 years?

I realize that our situation is unique with 3 middle schools in our community but it's just hard to watch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck