Questions/Advice on changing teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My daughter has played on the same rec team for the past four years (2 years 8U and 2 years 10U). About 5 of the players have been together each year and we always get new ones from the draft. It has been a nice group of kids/parents. One of her best friends is on the team so it is going to be hard for her to leave this team.

Last fall we lost our pitcher to another team. So my daughter wanted to become the #1 pitcher. She trained all fall/winter with a pitching coach and she practiced every day except a few when she was sick or over the holidays. She has done amazingly well pitching but we haven't had a lot of competion. We also got her some hitting lessons that have helped her with her power. I wouldn't say she is amazing at hitting but she is one of the best on the team. Her pitching coach has been encouraging her to go to a select team and we have had other coaches asking about her.

Next year she will have to move up to 12U and we are thinking we should move her to a select team. She really has learned all she can on this team. She keeps talking about how she wants more games and more competition. She really wants to learn more and have more games and a bigger commitment. The only issue is missing her friends on the old team.

I feel like such a newbie with all this... Is there a certain time of the year that most teams have tryouts? And how do you find out about them?

We are in the St. Louis area, so if you have any opinions on teams in the area I would love to hear them.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is there a certain time of the year that most teams have tryouts?

Usually, August and September.

And how do you find out about them?
At the tournament, there will be a central place where the games are listed, usually at the concession stand and bathrooms.

It would be good for you and her to go and see if this is something you might want to try. Be wary of zombie softball parents. (Remember the double tap.) One bite and you'll be wandering around softball parks on weekends dragging a cooler behind you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 21, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Another good place to watch for tryout postings is at Topics - KAA Message Board

I would also talk to your DD pitching and hitting instructors about teams. St. Louis is a tight select softball community and many of the coaches and instructors know each other.

If you are moving up to 12u then I would also suggest looking at some of the 2nd year 10u teams out there. Many will probably be at Kirkwood the weekend June 17-19 for NSA State Championships.

Apr 1, 2010
I would also talk to your DD pitching and hitting instructors about teams. St. Louis is a tight select softball community and many of the coaches and instructors know each other.

If you are moving up to 12u then I would also suggest looking at some of the 2nd year 10u teams out there.

I agree with Slick, look for the second year 10U teams. (The tournament in Festus sluggers suggested has 10U as well, by the way) They would be the perfect age fit for your daughter. Some of those teams may be all 00 birthdays, but some of them may have some 01s who'll decide to stay down another year or some girls may just quit for their own reasons. Stand around in the background and see if the kids and their parents are ones you want your daughter around and if the coaches treat the girls the way you want your daughter to be treated. Does the team warm up efficiently? Are there smiles and encouragement or surliness, sloppiness and yelling? Do they have good team spirit and camaraderie?

Sep 3, 2009
Tryouts are typically from late July, to the middle of August. I'd check out a couple of tournaments actually. At first anyway, I wouldn't talk with the coaches. Just watch them and the players, see how they perform. Are the players at the same level as your dd? See how the coach reacts to bad plays, how they instruct their players, etc. Read as much as you can on St Louis Fastpitch.

And just a warning from someone who went through the same thing a few years ago... at tryouts, EVERY coach is the nicest most charming person in the world. Don't think you can pick out a good coach at tryouts. Do you homework on teams and coaches beforehand. Watch them in games, not just once. Ask parents already involved in comp ball. You'll likely get someone to take you under their wing so to speak, and offer you advice and what not. That's what happened to us. Not to be a downer, but there are people who get suckered into a bad situation, it happens all the time. Post a thread on St louis fastpitch about what you're looking for and ask for advice, I'm sure you'll get lots of help. The more you can research teams/coaches and educate yourself, the better off and happier you'll be. :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The more you can research teams/coaches and educate yourself, the better off and happier you'll be.

Twinklestar, the above quote is wisdom. Read and memorize.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Twinklestar, the above quote is wisdom. Read and memorize.

Yes, I am planning on researching as much as I can these next two months and see what I come up with. I really want to see some of these teams in action because as absdad said these coaches will be on their best behavior at tryouts.

It is overwhelming but I am excited about her looking for a team.
Thanks everyone for the feedback and I am sure I will have more questions as we go. This is a great forum. I have learned so much reading the pitching section.

Jun 3, 2011
Southwestern CT
TwinkleStar, Is the commitment of playing in the rec league too much for her to do both? I'm in a similar predicament and others that have gone before me have regrets about pulling their daughters away from their friends for greener fields. I don't know what to do either... My story is similar, moving from 10U to 12U next year, daughter is strong hitter/infielder and first year pitcher who held her own pitching this year and is getting better. She will play a 10U allstar schedule this summer which is a good competitive travel schedule with decent coaches but she won't make the 12U allstar team next summer for a bunch of reasons I won't get into here. She isn't the best kid on the 10U allstar team and there are better girls in the rec league, I just feel that they don't practice or play enough in rec for her to develop further and I'm not sure I can leave her there for what will amount to nearly two years until the 12U allstar roster opens up. Would love to hear opinions... also where can I find out about options, not much turns up in a web search. I'm in lower Fairfield County, CT

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
absdad is 100% correct. In fact when a couple of players were looking at joining our team at the end of last Summer, I gave the parents our remaining tournament schedule and told them to come out to some games to see how I coached, but not tell me which games. They did, and the players joined the team for the Fall. I would probably even say that if the coach doesn't offer something like that be wary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06