Question for the select or travel coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2012
How do you handle your pitchers? You have two pitchers that are interchangeable as far as efeectiveness and you can win with either one. They are also two of your more all around talented players. You can plug them in at any position and they can hold their own. They won't be perfect but they won't hurt you either. Do you rest them as much as you can and only play them in the outfield in 2-3 inning sessions or do you play them at the infield position they can play well, even if they are going to pitch the next game?

This is the current debate between a parent and the HC. There are girls in key infield positions that make errors every game and it has cost the team. I am not saying they are the reason for a loss but it does cost the team in some form. HC says that the trend is to rest your key pitcher(s) as much as possible so they are ready to go for critical games or to hold a lead.

Just to be clear I am neither the HC or the parent invovled. My daughter is on the team but we are not involved in the conversation.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
During the spring time meaningless friendlies, they get playing time. During championship bracket play in the heat of the summer, I will try to rest them. However, if I need them during this time for position play and I feel it's worth their tiring out in order to secure a win and get to the next game, I will use them.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Come to think of it, my DD was always at 1st base or in the OF, when she wasn't pitching. I would play my best 9. Now, a long Sunday, in 100 degrees temps. might be an exception.

Feb 16, 2012
Thanks for the responses so far. One of the pitchers is the best third baseman on the team...stated by the HC and the other can play SS but hasn't a lot of time there. There are a lot of errors at 3rd...dropped pop ups, balls between legs not knowing what to do with the ball, etc.

I would agree with the hotter temps and long days the pitchers will have to sit. In the spring not so much. I am curious if the new trend is multiple positions or is it to rest your ace(s).

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Impossible to answer that for another team because you'd have to know exactly how much better the pitchers are defensively compared to the fielders they would replace.

In 2012, we had the same situation you're describing (two equal pitchers) and we played both in LF when not pitching. Having them play the same position meant continuity with the defense. If instead one had played SS and the other 1B, then we'd have two infield positions held down by part-time players. Having four full-time infielders allowed our infield to develop more quickly, IMO.

But that worked well only because those pitchers were not significantly better than any of our other defensive players. This season, new team, and the best pitcher also is outstanding defensively on a team that is not great defensively. She really needs to play SS or CF when not pitching.

As for resting them, that also depending on their defensive value. With the P/LF duo, they rested a lot. But it's hard to take the P/SS off the field. But managing the fatigue of pitchers was not my strong suit, so others will have better advice there.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think age is also a factor. The younger the age, generally the better the pitcher is as an all around athlete. That seems to start changing as they specialize somewhere around age 12-14.

Jul 17, 2012
This is a tough one. MOST pitchers I have come into contact with are "gamers"... they NEED to be on the field. Resting them can have an adverse impact. If they are your best fielders at a position, then I say play them. If it's HOT, they're going to be HOT on the bench, or on the field. Keep them engaged in the games. I can't remember the last time I saw a pitcher come in releif from the bench. They're usually too valuable at an alternate position to sit.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
At the higher level, few pitchers really know how to play a position other than pitcher. They have the reflexes and the arm, but they rarely have the skill.

Also, on a TB team, the players can quit or leave anytime they want. So, sure, a coach could sit everyone but nine players, play her best, and make 18 parents ecstatic...but, pretty soon the coach has only nine players, and then, someone twists an ankle and the team folds. So, a coach has to keep all the players reasonably happy.

On 14U teams, pitchers play the field quite a bit. By 18U, most of them exclusively pitch (there are exceptions, of course). In college, only a few pitchers play a position when they don't pitch. Good pitchers are so valuable that you can't risk getting them hurt.

The real question: Why isn't the coach working with the regular 3B and the SS?

I can't remember the last time I saw a pitcher come in relief from the bench.

You should get out more...it is pretty common.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
You should get out more...it is pretty common.
My DD is 10, playing 12U. I stand strong by my comment at that age. Wasn't talking about high school, 18U or College for that matter, nor do I think the OP was. I wouldn't speak to those higher levels, as I have no experience with them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp