Question about Western Nationals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
This is a question for those of you who have been to Western Nationals. An out-of-state team that we have played a few times this year is going to Western Nationals in Medford. According to my DD's coach, they called looking for a player to pick up and my DD's name was in the mix. My issue is primarily the costs related to going down there. This is not in the budget and I figure it will cost a grand at minimum for travel, hotel, food, etc. If this was our own TB team, I wouldn't even think twice. But since she will basically be going as a pitcher, I realize she may spend a lot of time riding the pine. Is it worth going anyway, just for the experience? Or should we decline?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Every team would love to take an extra pitcher with them to Nationals, but taking a pickup player is always a double edged sword. When your DD plays she takes innings away from one of the regular team members, but no one wants to spend $1K to go to a tournament to 'ride the pine'. I would have a very frank discussion with the coach to make sure that your expectations and his/her expectations line up.

Some coaches go to Nationals looking ahead to next season and will put the best team on the field - regardless of consideration for current players vs. pickups. Some coaches view Nationals as an end of the season 'reward' for existing players.

My DD was invited to go to 14U PGF Nationals this year as an extra pitcher, but we declined since she would probably pitch in only 2-3 games. My cost per inning pitched would have been astronomical - I figured the trip would cost @ $2K for my DD and myself to attend.

Feb 3, 2011
Hey, why isn't your DD's team doing Westerns? I was looking forward to watching them play!

If your team does not have an end of year tourney trip planned, I say do it. If you're already committed to Triple Crown next week or similar, then she's already getting the experience of being in a huge tourney.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Hey, why isn't your DD's team doing Westerns? I was looking forward to watching them play!

If your team does not have an end of year tourney trip planned, I say do it. If you're already committed to Triple Crown next week or similar, then she's already getting the experience of being in a huge tourney.

We qualified for Westerns by winning the SeaTac Metros. However, several of our girls wouldn't be able to go that weekend so the coach was fine with only playing Regionals in Portland on the weekend of the 19th.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
If you can manage the cost I say go tr it!!!!! As some of you know DD was just a pick up a few weeks ago in for state. Like you ,we knew she would not have a much time on the mound.. however, the pitchers had very "off" days and my DD pitched in every game at least 1 inning and moved up from 10th in line up the 6th. My DD had her best games ever!!! Great exposure and wonderful experience. I'd do it all over again!!!

Feb 3, 2011
We qualified for Westerns by winning the SeaTac Metros. However, several of our girls wouldn't be able to go that weekend so the coach was fine with only playing Regionals in Portland on the weekend of the 19th.
Oh man, what a bummer. Congrats on winning your Metro - you guys definitely have a strong team based on your resume', which was why I was hoping to see you play.

Since your team isn't doing a big one, if you have any chance to get your DD picked up by a team that's playing in Medford, do it. Then she'll be able to tell all her friends they have to do it next time around!

The first 2 days, they'll only play 1 game each day, but I wouldn't expect her to sit all day. Find out how coach plans to manage pool play with a pickup player. It's possible they might be missing a stud and your DD is just expected to step right in and play.

Be sure to let us know what you decide.

Jul 28, 2008
From my own personal experience last year. My DD was invited to pick up at Western Nationals as a backup pitcher. We accepted. While she didn't pitch a single pitch for the team, she only sat one inning the whole week. They made us feel like we were part of the team, and we were. We made a bunch of new friends and had a blast. We spend about a grand between the car rental, hotel, gas and eating out. We drove down there and back. To me, it was worth every penny. Medford is a day's drive for you. Find a cheaper hotel and save some money.

Congrats on your winning Metros. The bid you earned was for Nationals, though, not Western Nationals. I assume you passed. I will have to have a talk with the 2nd place team's coach then. I'll bop him on the head for passing, too. I see y'all met last weekend in the finals again at NSA. Most likely will meet again this weekend. It looks as though both of your teams are pretty even. That makes it fun.

Good luck

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
From my own personal experience last year. My DD was invited to pick up at Western Nationals as a backup pitcher. We accepted. While she didn't pitch a single pitch for the team, she only sat one inning the whole week. They made us feel like we were part of the team, and we were. We made a bunch of new friends and had a blast. We spend about a grand between the car rental, hotel, gas and eating out. We drove down there and back. To me, it was worth every penny. Medford is a day's drive for you. Find a cheaper hotel and save some money.

The good thing is we've already played this team a few times and have gotten to know a few parents. Really good folks. My DD also made some friends from this team, and they are in frequent contact on social media. In that sense, I feel comfortable with it.

Congrats on your winning Metros. The bid you earned was for Nationals, though, not Western Nationals. I assume you passed. I will have to have a talk with the 2nd place team's coach then. I'll bop him on the head for passing, too. I see y'all met last weekend in the finals again at NSA. Most likely will meet again this weekend. It looks as though both of your teams are pretty even. That makes it fun.

Good luck
Hmm. Our coach said it was a qualifier for Medford. Don't bop Fred on the head too hard, though. Yeah, we love playing Shock, definitely the best competition in the state. We've gone back and forth all year, and they came out with their bats blazing to win back/back games for the championship. Hats off to those girls, they are fun to watch play. Good luck to you guys, hopefully we'll be battling it out again for the ASA State title on Sunday!

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Oh man, what a bummer. Congrats on winning your Metro - you guys definitely have a strong team based on your resume', which was why I was hoping to see you play.

Since your team isn't doing a big one, if you have any chance to get your DD picked up by a team that's playing in Medford, do it. Then she'll be able to tell all her friends they have to do it next time around!

The first 2 days, they'll only play 1 game each day, but I wouldn't expect her to sit all day. Find out how coach plans to manage pool play with a pickup player. It's possible they might be missing a stud and your DD is just expected to step right in and play.

Be sure to let us know what you decide.

I definitely will. BTW, what team is your DD with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp