Quality of Umpiring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 9, 2009
I actually remember being pulled from the stands once to umpire a LL game, we had actually just moved to town and my son joined the local LL 13-14 boys and the umps did not show they asked if anyone had experience and I volunteered along with another dad and we did a pretty decent job considering I had to call the game from behind the pitchers mound

I've had to ump and coach LL games at the same time. Honestly I prefer calling balls and strikes from behind the rubber rather than behind the plate..

Jun 1, 2015
I've been an umpire in my town's youth baseball/softball program for 12 years (I'm 27 now, started in HS). This was what originally got me into coaching softball such that I do - a coach who umpires knows the rules and in my opinion knows what to stress the most to his players based on what he knows officials are looking for on the field. My league is so desperate for officials that we've had HS seniors and parents doing some games, but as Head Umpire I get final say on fields and assignments. I take pride in my word (even though I'm paid) because I'm making a difference in the lives of the players. I've invested enough money in my gear so the players know I take it seriously - they in turn take it seriously as well and enjoy it more, I feel.

Unfortunately as I've seen these past few weeks, everyone wants to complain when something doesn't go their way, yet won't jump to help when they're asked too because "it's not their problem".

Dec 27, 2014
Last year at 10u LL/Rec our paid umpire missed a handful of games and I would get volunteered. I called from behind the rubber and did my best to have a consistent LL strike zone of pits to just below the knees, and a ball outside. I would recommend the other team supply a parent to plate ump my team but once they see you mean to be fair they opt out. Funny how that works...

When we did get paid umps to show up the quality was all across the board but I preferred HS age kids because they were more consistent than older folks. District and state tournament was a mixed bag as well.

This year's umpiring at 12u though has been head and shoulders better than last year so not sure if 10u got the bottom of the barrel...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi