Quality of Umpiring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have heard people say they would get better umpires if they paid them more. The bottom line is that there are so many games between college, high school, rec and travel that there are simply not enough quality ones to go around, and paying a lot of them more would not change a thing. It would only lead to a higher level of pay for their incompetence. IMHO

Mostly true, but that's what happens when there is no concerted effort to work with each other (tournaments, teams, etc.). But I disagree with the final sentence. What is does is attract more greens than blues and many, if not most greens, couldn't give a rat's rear if they are dressed appropriately or conforming to the accepted set of mechanics or enforce the rules as directed.

Mar 2, 2016
Our local little league uses paid umpires .....Last year during the state title 10 U game the hosting little league used the vice president of the league as an umpire and her daughter was playing. The tournament director used the excuse that she was the only one that put her name in the hat to umpire...needless to say the game wasn't even close to being called fair. We protested the calls of the palte umpire 6 times all 6 times we were right...He didnt know the softball rules...We lost 12-11, and as a result we had all of the girls on the all start team move on to play travel ball....We put a lot of time energy and effort into to it and to get lose that way was sad.....Maybe a good reason that little league is losing players at an alarming rate...at least in our area that is the case

Our rec uses paid umpires starting at 10U. They are all over the map. Some are very good, and some are just dreadful. One we get alot is a girl who just graduated HS a couple years ago. She doesn't know the rules and her BF who is also an ump is often in attendance when she works. She spends the whole game with him behind the cage conferring with him and winds up changing at least 2-3 calls per game. We'd be better off with a ham sandwich calling the game.

Experience doesn't really matter though. Our 20+ year veteran last week picked up where the aforementioned obstruction thread left off. Our catcher was straddling the plate one a play at home. Our league rules (12U) require the runner to slide on any play at any base other than 1B that is close or the runner is automatically out. We got the girl at home who let up at the last second and did not slide but gently ran into our catcher and was tagged out. The ump calls safe. Our parents go crazy because of no slide. The ump then walks out from behind the plate and turns to the stands, pauses a few seconds as it to think, and says he is calling obstruction, which he never signaled. Mind you the plate was totally open to slide to and had the girl run and slid she would have been easily safe. After the game and about 3 other calls of similar fashion, he was yucking it up on his tailgate with the home team parents and coaches. We were on the road 30 miles from home. I dare say I think we saw a little home cooking there, which was unnecessary there as they were the better team and would have won the game either way.

Sometimes it's just bad, and sometimes it's really disheartening. The exploding number of games and leagues have made officiating a viable income stream for a lot of people. There are guys and gals who make a pretty decent amount of money officiating multiple sports year-round. Those good, experienced officials are in short supply and the rec leagues seem to get whatever is left. Our travel ball/tourney umps seem to be of a higher caliber on average.

May 28, 2013
As to the definition of "Rec". IMHO it is a league, made up of local kids with a tie to the community. This league can then compose an all star team that might play in tournaments away from home. As to quality Umpires, as soon as my DD is done playing (she is 13 now, playing travel) I am going to step on the field, hopefully after some re-education from the coaching side, and I will become an umpire. I'd like to think that my experience as a Coach/Father will make me a good Umpire, but I know The first thing I am going to do, is toss a pitchers dad, simply out of spite.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
There is some questions as to whether LL is considered rec ball. A lot of people around here call LL rec ball. The president of the local LL insists LL is something in between rec ball and travel ball.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
For the local LL, they use HS age kids for umps.
In the spring they have two paid umps. For fall ball one ump, with a couple of volunteers, usually parents. DD 1 and her teammate would sometimes help out DD 3's game while waiting on their own game.

One time I was dragged into being a volunteer ump for one of DD 1's games. A friend of hers on the other team later requested that I never, ever, do any umpiring again.

Nov 25, 2015
The Frozen Tundra
One thing I can say about my area is the umpiring is above average. Don't see the same umps in the same season that often because they have good numbers. Can have an ump at a tournament do a 10c game in the morning then doing a 14u championship game later on. But will call both games at the same high level.

And most are willing to talk after the game about certain plays to get clarification on why it was called one way or the other.

Feb 22, 2013
When I used to umpire little league, we were always paid with a hamburger and coke. Funny thing was that I thought I was getting the better end of that deal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12