Qualifying a new pitching caoch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Need them here in SoCal too.... We have good weather, close to beaches and not too far from Santa Barbara but you have to bring your own water.

I've posted before that they need to do a road show. Maybe if we all get together, we can convince them!!!!

Seriously, I spent so many years traveling to So Cal for softball I can't count. Between Huntington Beach and Orange County I could've owned a second home down there and saved money!

Remember, when I started coaching the girls there were only about 20 18u gold teams in the entire nation. We'd go to one of Gary Hanning or Rich Chambrones events and there would be 30 gold teams and 100 coaches licking their chops to sign kids after the event was over.

Times have changed my friends.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
IMO your best bet is to watch the prospective pc in action. See how he/she interacts with the student. See if verbal ques are consistant with what we know is nonsense or quality. Treat a sit in as an interview. And don't necessarily buy into the pc's past as a precursor. Just because one can perform a task doesn't mean they understand how to teach it. Reference some Jennie Finch video.... she's a phonominal pitcher, and actually throws with a ton of IR whip, but will use disturbing ques and demonstrates a clear HE style when teaching......

May 13, 2012
IMO your best bet is to watch the prospective pc in action. See how he/she interacts with the student. See if verbal ques are consistant with what we know is nonsense or quality. Treat a sit in as an interview. And don't necessarily buy into the pc's past as a precursor. Just because one can perform a task doesn't mean they understand how to teach it. Reference some Jennie Finch video.... she's a phonominal pitcher, and actually throws with a ton of IR whip, but will use disturbing ques and demonstrates a clear HE style when teaching......

^^^
This. Talked to DD pitching coach on phone, waited a week or so drove down to complex and hung out like I waiting on DD in another area. Watched and listened.

Mar 12, 2009
One question will shed much light on whether the pitching coach understands arm whip or not: "What direction should the palm be facing at 9:00?". If they say behind you towards second base or towards the ground, then you need to run as fast as you can to another PC. If they say towards 3rd base or better yet "to the sky" then they have passed the 1st test. Of course there are more questions to ask, but if they can't pass the first test, the rest doesn't really matter IMO.

^^^^ This question right here!

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
You are in Sacramento, I would jsut just contact BoardMember or Rich Balswick and see if they are taking new students and save the worry about making a good choice. You'l have to drive a little for lessons but it seems well worth it.

I'm too late:( --- Boardmember gave up lessons and took up GOLF of all the ridicules sports...Just Kidding...

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
IMHO asking a bunch of questions straight away is a waste of everyone's time. Go and observe a lesson and then if warranted discuss pitching philosophy. This is one of the reasons before I take on a student I often do an evaluation at no cost. That way both parties can decide if there is a future working relationship without feeling obligated.

I agree watching a lesson would answer all the questions. The problem is I could spend the next 2 months going to watch lessons there are so many "Pitching Coaches" around here.

I'm just trying to narrow the field before I go watch. Between practice, hitting & pitching lessons and tournaments, there are only so many hours in a day.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I agree watching a lesson would answer all the questions. The problem is I could spend the next 2 months going to watch lessons there are so many "Pitching Coaches" around here.

I'm just trying to narrow the field before I go watch. Between practice, hitting & pitching lessons and tournaments, there are only so many hours in a day.

In that case you may want to find some good IR pitchers and then find out who schooled them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad